550 xp drive sprocket/rim

dervishcarving

Hi chaps

do any of you know if the drive sprocket/rim for both Husky 550XP/560XP are one and the same?

Im thinking of a new carving saw (blocking out, not detail work) and considering the 550xp BUT i would like to be able to run a 3/8 lo pro chain (just nicer to work with for curves etc.

its not a nightmare if i cant, I currently run a 440e with the toonie bar and 95vpx chains. plan is to put the toonie bar on teh 550xp and can run it with the 95vpx but would be nice to switch to 3/8

Any thoughts from your chainsaw experts?

Dave

There are no 3/8" lo-pro/Picco rims in regular production, that will fit the clutch drum of those saws. Picco rims only are made for the Stihl mini 7-spline drums, not for the small or the regular 7-spline drums.

Regular 3/8 is no problem, but hardly was the main question.

Edited by SawTroll

i knew you lot would have some thoughts on this, if you need answers, ask experts

So, Cat, you ran 3/8 from the start with the stock rim? (i know, im a user not an expert, hence i ask what might be dumb questions

3/8 lo pro (which is what you're after) is different to regular 3/8, which is much larger kerf.

People run 3/8 on these saws (you need to swap the rim over as .325 is standard), but according to SawTroll the .325 lo pro sprocket is not produced, which is what you seem to be after.

I started a thread about the 550xp and I think someone mentioned being able to run a smaller chain on it. (It may have been Eddy T)

3/8 lo pro (which is what you're after) is different to regular 3/8, which is much larger kerf.

People run 3/8 on these saws (you need to swap the rim over as .325 is standard), but according to SawTroll the .325 lo pro sprocket is not produced, which is what you seem to be after.

I started a thread about the 550xp and I think someone mentioned being able to run a smaller chain on it. (It may have been Eddy T)

3/8" lo pro, not .325. :wink:

i knew you lot would have some thoughts on this, if you need answers, ask experts

So, Cat, you ran 3/8 from the start with the stock rim? (i know, im a user not an expert, hence i ask what might be dumb questions

I'm sure he didn't - he changed the rim first (to regular 3/8" - not 3/8 lo-pro).