Ranger MPG. What do you get?

PeteB

Wow Dean, thats impressive mpg on your Dmax!

I can get 36 on the motorway with a load in the bed, towing and I'll be down to 30ish.

The worst was towing a full 3.5 ton trailer and averaged 18mpg over 500 miles on mostly small roads.

As an aside, mine seems to return worse mpg as time goes on. I put a tank of premium diesel through and it seems to improve it again for a while (even when putting subsequent tanks of normal diesel through).

Guess maybe the premium cleans it out?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I run a Peugeot 2.2hdi lwb cause its fwd I get around 33mpg which is great for a big one. I do not carry an awful lot of weight just mowers, hand tools, and hedge cutters strimmers ect. lots of little tools. What I would be interested to know is mapping worth doing its around £350 I wonder if you get any factual improvement in mpg? I also run on v power or ultimate which my computer tells me mpg increases 2-3mpg. I think the computers fairly accurate from my own maths in the past.

Edited by mowandgo

It's funny reading all those figures. Buy a new Dodge Ram if your concerned about economy. Everybody laughed at me when I bought one but had them since 2009. Replaced it will a new one last year and get 17 mpg out of it all day long, it may drop to 16 if I tow 3 ton up the mway at 60 all day. 400hp of 5.7 litre hemi under the bonnet really doesn't struggle. She runs on lpg at cheaper than half the cost of petrol and depreciates less than you could imagine. Last one had 165'000 miles on in 5 years and depritiated 9 pence per mile. Compared to the last navara I bought in 2006 that lost 18 pence per mile. Only problem is you constantly get asked 'what do you get to the gallon mate?' Or where's the tanker? Following? Hahaha'. They normally shut up when you give them the facts or they look at their chelsie tractor and mutter something along the lines of loosing that when they drove of the forecourt.

Have you ever asked a navara or rodeo driver what they used to drive to be told ' a Dodge Ram, but this is better' nope thought not!

Yes I like that about the yanks put a big lazy engine in and it does not have to work to hard.All these new pick ups 2.2 or 2.5 or if lucky 3 litre trying to get to much power from a little unit.These might be alright in cars , but a pick up loaded to 3 ton plus a 2 ton trailer what do you expect.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted a TDI Tuning chip recently and noticed an immediate difference in throttle position. On a mid range setting, the chip appears to give 5 mpg better but will do a lot more testing and even swap the settings to test power and economy. The 2.2 is now close to the 3.2 I would think.

• 4 months later...
Fitted a TDI Tuning chip recently and noticed an immediate difference in throttle position. On a mid range setting, the chip appears to give 5 mpg better but will do a lot more testing and even swap the settings to test power and economy. The 2.2 is now close to the 3.2 I would think.

How did this work out in the longer run?

Ive used the search engine on this forum but I cannot find what Im looking for.

Which 2nd hand ranger is best to buy? I seem to remember the 2008 new model was best on economy but highly geared. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

MK 3 or MK 4?

I have a Citroen Relay, long wheel base and high roof (not extra long or extra high I should say) 2.2HDI, 14 plate. Wonderful to drive - most comfortable driving position for me yet. With a mixture of unloaded, loaded and towing (in equal amounts), I've averaged 32.7mpg over the last 10000 miles I've had it. Mostly extra urban - I avoid cities. It will do 40mpg unloaded on a run as well. With bluetooth, sat nav and a good stereo it's a nice place to be. Much better than the bloody Navara.

It's funny reading all those figures. Buy a new Dodge Ram if your concerned about economy. Everybody laughed at me when I bought one but had them since 2009. Replaced it will a new one last year and get 17 mpg out of it all day long, it may drop to 16 if I tow 3 ton up the mway at 60 all day. 400hp of 5.7 litre hemi under the bonnet really doesn't struggle. She runs on lpg at cheaper than half the cost of petrol and depreciates less than you could imagine. Last one had 165'000 miles on in 5 years and depritiated 9 pence per mile. Compared to the last navara I bought in 2006 that lost 18 pence per mile. Only problem is you constantly get asked 'what do you get to the gallon mate?' Or where's the tanker? Following? Hahaha'. They normally shut up when you give them the facts or they look at their chelsie tractor and mutter something along the lines of loosing that when they drove of the forecourt.

Have you ever asked a navara or rodeo driver what they used to drive to be told ' a Dodge Ram, but this is better' nope thought not!

i can agree with you here i changed my 3 litre rodeo 2 years ago to a diesel dodge ram 2500heavy duty the last 2 years i have towed a 30ft trailer to southern germany the on board mpg gives a reading of 14

i can agree with you here i changed my 3 litre rodeo 2 years ago to a diesel dodge ram 2500heavy duty the last 2 years i have towed a 30ft trailer to southern germany the on board mpg gives a reading of 14

Would that be 14 to the US gallon as well? If so, that's 16.8 to the imperial gallon.