New pickups for 2015/16

Steve Bullman

They arent pick ups, sorry, I know its expensive, but it really would be the last one you would buy:001_tt2:

4.2 straight 6 diesel, or V6 petrol. Tows 3.5t carries 1.2t as a double cab, 1.4 t as a single cab..

Beat me to it.

What I was going to say is "and how many of these new pickups has a 6 cylinder diesel with enough cubic inches". Stratospheric BMEP Hair Dryers need not apply. :001_rolleyes:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a difficult one as everyone has different priorities.

I would avoid Nissan because I had one and the dealers round our way we're dreadful. They have had loads of grief with the engines for over 10 years. But it was a good drive and I loved the gearbox.

I drove the amorok and felt it stood head and shoulders above the rest but only 2.0 litre engine and the truck may not be tough enough especially with no low box. The price is horrendous and so is the waiting list.

The dmax I thought drove crude a bit like a 15 year old l200 but it does tow 3500kg

Hilux nice to drive but dated, noisey engine, poor towing weight and expensive to buy will be reliable though with good resale.

I learnt years ago to stay well clear of French stuff.

I don't think the new kids on the block will grasp the towing thing straight off so expect clutch and drive train problems.

Inteligent and objective post . :001_smile:

hallmark tractors near us are pushing a Ford ranger lookalike called great wall it is 14k abd has 5 year warranty sounds good on the leaflet

joy

Unless it's been uprated it has a terrible towing capacity, 2000kg iirc

hallmark tractors near us are pushing a Ford ranger lookalike called great wall it is 14k abd has 5 year warranty sounds good on the leaflet

joy

I just came out the store and chatted to someone (nuther tree contractor) who bought one (double cab in met cherry). Not many issues but noisy and trade in quoted for a 12 reg was £1500!!! :lol:

The pic of the new ford ranger looks pretty cool, not a fan of any of the current or previous rangers styling, shame about the 2016 hilux, quite a disappointment in that picture.

I'll hopefully be going for a new 3.0 hilux in may. Looks good, but still feels like a workhorse rather than a show pony, holds its value stupidly well here.

2nd place would be a v6 navara but not keen on the auto gearbox in that, never seems to make its mind up of what gear to be in, nice to drive and cruise about in though, v6 sounds nice too.

Not a fan of the ranger/mitsi/isuzus looks. Amorak just don't like it, tiny motor, noisy and agricultural when flooring it, skittish on gravel roads.

For the last five years all the pickups available have been made for hairdressers.

Its really depressing this, I will replace my defender in 18 months or so and it looks like there will be nothing to replace it with. I hate all the current offerings, and I need a 3.5 ton tow for the little tractor. I have a friend who has and Isuzu and he reckons its not a patch on his old trooper for towing. My brother had 2 new shape navaras and both were unreliable and i never liked driving them. I find all these pickups much of a muchness, trying to be too car like, massive rear overhang, cart springs on the back so you feel every little bump of the trailer. And small engines with loads of power and no low down grunt.

I googled the G Waggon to see what they were like as I had always liked the old ones.... they start at £70k! So I won't be getting one of those.

What I want is a truck that will tow 3.5, do 70mph without screaming, be good off road and be able to take a few knocks without loosing half its value.

My Defender ticks all those boxes, its such a shame they are no longer making them.