Loading dragon/farm 2000 boilers?

Chipy

that boiler will take large timber so why split it just to dry it.:confused1:

and that boiler will eat hydraulic hoses if you are not quick enough.:thumbdown:

I'm just saying I wish I'd got that boiler but I've actually got a dragon D20 which also takes big stuff but it's very hard to light large diameter logs even with lots of diesel so I'm splitting to dry and to light the wood easier.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have seen a very net set up and what they do is they cut in to managable sizes and use a lasco cone splitter to split the stuff and have in in a big shed to dry and have a trailer like a cattle feed trailer which they made for the job which has a sloping floor to one side so that you load it with loader and then fold down the side so that you can lift the logs out and stright in to the boiler with next to no bending as the logs are at a nice hight to lift

I'm just saying I wish I'd got that boiler but I've actually got a dragon D20 which also takes big stuff but it's very hard to light large diameter logs even with lots of diesel so I'm splitting to dry and to light the wood easier.

I have a dragon D20 and we don't have any issues with starting it? Really easy with a few pallets, or if we don't have any of those we use the bark/small split waste from the log processing as kindling and away it goes.

I'm of the opinion that once it is going, that to use a telehandler to reload is not worth the risk to the damage to the machine, hydraulic pipes, ram seals, becasue when you are sat in the cab you have no idea what heat is pouring out of the open door. Realistically, you wouldn't stand there for a minute would you? So if you were carefully manoveuring the telehandler not to bash the boiler, to get the load into the boiler properly and fully, as if you drop it and it protrudes out the door, you cant move it by hand can you? So you stay too close to the heat for too long and stuff melts or worse, catches fire. Use the telehandler to get the stuff close to the door, and take 10 minutes to load it!

I load my boiler once a day and it's cold and gone out every time I come to load it so I won't have any of those issues and even when there's still some burning embers it's still not too hot to stand in front of it. I'm tempted to go to twice a day loading so that there's definitely enough embers to get the next load going again. When I burnt larch it was great because there would always be embers the following morning and it produced so much heat but I'm on spruce now and I hate it.

I load my boiler once a day and it's cold and gone out every time I come to load it so I won't have any of those issues and even when there's still some burning embers it's still not too hot to stand in front of it. I'm tempted to go to twice a day loading so that there's definitely enough embers to get the next load going again. When I burnt larch it was great because there would always be embers the following morning and it produced so much heat but I'm on spruce now and I hate it.

Sounds like you will have to think a little further ahead and have some dry timber cut & stacked for this machine to work efficiently. Otherwise it sounds like you have been sold a pup!

codlasher

• 10 months later...