rat problem

Breezeblock

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been keeping my eyes on a few holes in the chicken coop and we appear to have a problem with rats i can't put poison down incase the dogs or the chickens eat the rats so have went with a trap but i can't catch any i have tried baiting with mars bars etc and no joy any other baits that i can try

Have a think about using Difenaccoum it is an anticoagulant but it is one of the safest to use, to kill a dog it would probably have to eat about 70 poisoned rats, you can work it out , with out looking it up again, about 3 grams will eventually kill a rat, most rats then go back to the nest to die and will decompose there, i think it takes 200 grams to kill a dog, so thats a lot of dead rats, i have even know chickens to eat it with no effect, if a dog is looking like it may of eaten poison, vitamin K1 from you vet is the antidote. If you want advice on traps, location is very important, but try baiting all you traps and not setting them, let the rats become confident at eating from them, do it as a routine, just before last light, once you see they are feeding well from the traps keep doing it for a few more nights, then set all the traps at the same time, you should get kills in every trap, be sure to use a lot of traps .

tool station only had one trap in stock and screwfix weren't much better so I've screwed the trap to a plank and baited with peanut butter fingers crossed i wonder if the old 281 with 20:1 mix would flush them out or converting the old ryjobi hedge trimmer to a smoker

Have a think about using Difenaccoum it is an anticoagulant but it is one of the safest to use, to kill a dog it would probably have to eat about 70 poisoned rats, you can work it out , with out looking it up again, about 3 grams will eventually kill a rat, most rats then go back to the nest to die and will decompose there, i think it takes 200 grams to kill a dog, so thats a lot of dead rats, i have even know chickens to eat it with no effect, if a dog is looking like it may of eaten poison, vitamin K1 from you vet is the antidote. If you want advice on traps, location is very important, but try baiting all you traps and not setting them, let the rats become confident at eating from them, do it as a routine, just before last light, once you see they are feeding well from the traps keep doing it for a few more nights, then set all the traps at the same time, you should get kills in every trap, be sure to use a lot of traps .

Or stick maize downt there throat full of k1 if you want to see big rats go to a maize store they eat bait eat maize like the little feckers no.

The way I've always dealt with rats under sheds/ awkward places is with a 2" section of pvc water pipe seal an end up, ram it full with cordite then wedge a Christmas tree bulb with the glass carefully smashed off into the powder and seal that in with silicon or more pipe etc and conect it to a spool of speaker wire, then cover the pipe with a bit of masking tape and then roll it in rancid cat food or peanut butter and leave it near the run hole, pop for a pint then usually it's been dragged of down the hole, a quick tap of a 9v battery and the percussion will kill pretty much anything

I am not humane when it comes to vermin mate.

They want a war, they 'kin got one now...!

The gloves are off. At the moment I have 5 mouse traps set in the kitchen and 2 poison runs. I do think the poison stuff has worn off though .

One of our tenants uses one of them humane traps baited with chocolate, then when she has caught one drives a mile down the road and lets it out???????

If i am right in thinking, mice need a poison 10 times stronger than rats. Just keep changing the type/chemical makeup of the poison.