rat problem

Breezeblock

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've recently had a problem with rats and so bought a cage trap. Now I've read this thread I realise I did a lot of things wrong... Caught one the 1st night and shot it there and then in the cage. Then afterwards I thought... are any others going to fall for it now? Just washed it down with cold water and put it back right next to the rat run. Not caught one since. Part of the problem is that mice keep eating the peanut butter. Any tips for avoiding that?

Having said all that I havent seen any sign of rats since catching that 1st one. But there must have been more than one?!

Anyone got advice for mice? Got traps set in the kitchen. We read on the web that they don't like the smell of peppermint, so the missus has soaked cotton wool with peppermint oil and left in draws and where ever we see the mouse crap. I bait the traps and even bought new ones as I only ever seem to catch in fresh traps. Hence the smell of death.

We see crap in the morning and the next evening I trap the area and they only poo elsewhere. Today I found mouse crap on the peppermint soaked cotton wool - so much for that method the cheeky buggers.

Please don't suggest a cat as I hate cats.

Must be that time of year, had one the size of a kitten the other night but couldn't get a clear shot on it but put out a cage trap the next night and bingo, got it and then blasted it with the air rifle.

Bait - I have used suet and grain bird food in a small dish and they also like Marathon.......sorry snickers bars!

Traps - they need to be long enough that the rat can go right in. The false catches are generally mice eating the bait, setting the trap off and then getting out - they fit through small holes, believe me! I have contemplating having the trigger set to only work on a rat style tug but not done this to date.

I have a number of rat holes under my shed, thought one was a mole hole and used a mole trap - caught a good size rat in it - busted its spine:thumbup:

I now have them on a stable diet of Wilko rat poison and will keep going until I am clear.

I usually like using the PCP AirArms rifle on them:thumbup:

Anyone got advice for mice? Got traps set in the kitchen. We read on the web that they don't like the smell of peppermint, so the missus has soaked cotton wool with peppermint oil and left in draws and where ever we see the mouse crap. I bait the traps and even bought new ones as I only ever seem to catch in fresh traps. Hence the smell of death.

We see crap in the morning and the next evening I trap the area and they only poo elsewhere. Today I found mouse crap on the peppermint soaked cotton wool - so much for that method the cheeky buggers.

Please don't suggest a cat as I hate cats.

How humane do you want to be?

I have used glue traps with good effect, but the mouse will be distressed. I only resorted to them after all else failing. You have to finish them off yourself, either drown them or crush them. Also see my previous post on rat trapping, works on mice too.

I am not humane when it comes to vermin mate.

They want a war, they 'kin got one now...!

The gloves are off. At the moment I have 5 mouse traps set in the kitchen and 2 poison runs. I do think the poison stuff has worn off though .