Post Puller

Nick Connell

I use a Farmers jack/land rover hi lift jack that costs £70 and is very effective for pulling concrete posts out and takes up less room in van .

Also have a short length of steel girder too stop it sinking into soft ground .

Ste

What do you use to secure the post to the jack ? as a chain would just slide up the post.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you use to secure the post to the jack ? as a chain would just slide up the post.

Chain or a 3ton strop ,chain is better has it digs in concrete or chisel a lump out for chain to grip and use a choke ,have tried different size chains and found best chain was off a garage block and pulley hoist .

Ste

I use a Farmers jack/land rover hi lift jack that costs £70 and is very effective for pulling concrete posts out and takes up less room in van .

Ste

I use the same method. It's only failed me once on a railway sleeper that had been concreted in.

Those jacks are ok, but if there is a large ball of concrete, the foot has to be further away from the post, pulling at an angle rather than straight up, so often the post snaps. Then you cannot do anything other than break it out.

An engine crane does not have the same features, nor can it easily be transported. The post puller has been designed by a fencer, and has had several refinements over the years. There is even one you can power from a jcb beaver, and one with its own engine!!

Has anybody tried this method. I've got the jack and chain, just need to knock up the frame. Maybe put some wheels on the back of it.

You can get jacks rated to 3 Ton.

Where did you get your safety boots from mate, I could do with a new pair!

Ste

Pictures?

• 11 months later...

Late reply but I use mine for small conifer roots and fence posts. Just cut post down with stihl saw so Jack can be positioned over post with legs or place 3 railway sleeper off cuts to form a bridge over concrete collar and place jack alongside post. Made the stabiliser legs from scaffold poles. Just leave a couple of feet of stump on conifer to wrap chain round. Saved me hours of backbraking digging 👍🏻

image.jpg.13659d0b2472576cd26e2b7369f72242.jpg

• 3 weeks later...