Forestry wear and tear per day cost's

I think being a full time cutter on large trees is fantastic, especially when working with a harvester that can roll/move stuff for you. Financially its a total disaster. My dolmar 7900 can use 10l of petrol a day plus 4 litres chain oil. 2 stroke oil. etc saws just dont last long enough, my 372 on another thread is a write off, fed up spending on it. so 700 quid lost in 2 months to start with! I have 2 second hand saws and will just buy second hand and repair as its cheaper than new since prices have rocketed.

I agree if you do this then you will not be able to afford a mortgage, luckily if you have a partner then its doable!

I am moving onto forwarder driving half the time, this will be hourly but no overheads so my cutting costs will be a bit more under control.

The money will never be there to pay cutters more than they get now piece work or day rate, margins are tight even for machines.

Problem is give a youngun a saw.......get him felling big stuff, before he gets good he will have gone to do something else due to what we ve discussed before! :laugh1:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank' for your inputs,,,

I'm at a low point money wise and just cant see a way out of it at the moment,Got other income sources firewood ,sawn timber sale etc but after doing 5 HARD days on the saw or up and down hills all day dragging winch rope the weekends need to be rest time ready for monday morning ,

i had a chance to go on a forwarder but theres more joy to the day on the saw,,

Cheers

Move away from contract felling, find a niche be good at it, I have and now have taken on two others to keep up with demand. I am now being asked to fell for the forwarder but I set the price, it will happen for you don't despair. CCF forestry will move forestry away from harvesters as it has done in France. I pay our whole mortgage now and the wife drives a Ferrari!