Jump to content
Stubby

Crap in your eye ....

Recommended Posts

I had a bit of red hot steel melt into my eye ball just last week, after a few days went to docs, she jabbed it with an ear bud, now it was sore, said emergency got a&e right away, so i phoned asked the waiting times, eye clinic is shut, anyway found a private clinic so phoned and just asked if someone could get it out, they said we have a specialist and he will stay late, we’ll... went down and this very nice guy had a look, wax a bit concerned as it was deep, so he checked the back of the eye ball, then he said all looks good so look at a point and don’t move your eye, i could feel him in there but no pain, when he got it out, i asked him what it was etc etc and what did he use to get it out, he said, steel, and he used a hyperdermic syringe needle, great job, better safety glasses from now on
I've had this 7 times. First time, fair enough...I was an idiot and not wearing any eye protection while grinding. Other 6 times it happened while I was wearing safety glasses and it somehow bounced around and got in there. Worst time was when he put the needle across the wrong side of the magnifying glass (on purpose) I jumped back as it looked like he was putting a 6" nail towards my eye, the doctor was in hysterics haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Bustergasket said:

... then he said all looks good so look at a point and don’t move your eye, i could feel him in there but no pain, when he got it out, i asked him what it was etc etc and what did he use to get it out, he said, steel, and he used a hyperdermic syringe needle

I absolutely cannot cope with this. 

 

From now on I'm wearing protective glasses twenty four hours a day, whatever I'm doing, inside and out. 

Jesus. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's something about the eyes.. makes me squeamish! The ould fella was pricking about in the shed one day and somehow managed to stick a piece of wire into his eye.. he's not even sure exactly how it happened! but in it went. it looked rough.. no blood but trying to blink and this two foot long piece of wire hanging down.. hospital, pirate costume for a few weeks, much discomfort and swelling and luckily only minor loss of vision, had he pulled it out in the shed the jelly squirty thing openspaceman mentioned could well have been a reality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/03/2015 at 11:29, wicklamulla said:

People please wear appropiate PPE. I've had various (non serious) eye injuries, foreign bodies, saw dust grit etc over the years and it is quite painful and stressful. I now tend to wear safety specs along with my chainsaw helmet visor when cross cutting, climbing, feeding a chipper etc. I wear safety specs if i'm out in the garage painting wood, doing DIY or tinkering with a saw etc. Ever tried to walk across the top of a previously topped conifer hedge/tight stand of trees with all those sharp small diameter twigs/branches/pegs ready to poke yer eye out shud you slip and fall off a foot hold ? It something i take seriously as my wife lost 85% of the vision in one of her eyes after a simple garden accident about 7 years ago. Basically it was a large shrub with long thorny spikes on it, it caught/snagged in my jumper as i pushed past it and released under tension and smacked her in the face. The eye specialists had their work cut out for them as they don't see many serious eye injuries due to increased H&S and wearing of facial PPE but after 4 bouts of surgery her eye is nigh on useless. Please be careful out there.

well following on from my original post, my wife has had 2 more bouts of surgery in 2018 making that a total of 6 procedures in less than 11 years. It will never get any better and the impact it can have on your live is a lot more than we realise as you assume you will recover or adapt and move forwards.  Not so in some cases as a form of PTSD can kick in at any time after the event. 

Edited by wicklamulla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bustergasket said:

I had a bit of red hot steel melt into my eye ball just last week, after a few days went to docs, she jabbed it with an ear bud, now it was sore, said emergency got a&e right away, so i phoned asked the waiting times, eye clinic is shut, anyway found a private clinic so phoned and just asked if someone could get it out, they said we have a specialist and he will stay late, we’ll... went down and this very nice guy had a look, wax a bit concerned as it was deep, so he checked the back of the eye ball, then he said all looks good so look at a point and don’t move your eye, i could feel him in there but no pain, when he got it out, i asked him what it was etc etc and what did he use to get it out, he said, steel, and he used a hyperdermic syringe needle, great job, better safety glasses from now on emoji106.png

 

13 hours ago, openspaceman said:

When i was in swansea a chap from port talbot came into A&E when I was there also, just the same, place was so busy a very butch junior doctor came into the waiting room, as the cubicles were full and she hooked it out with a needle from hypodermic, I was stunned, I expected a load of jelly to erupt from his eyeball,

Absolutely and completely bugger that!

 

Much better now. It stopped hurting by yesterday morning but vision still blurred (but improving) over the course of the day. Makes the other eye sore from straining.

 

Better again this morning with blurriness nearly gone and no pain.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, wicklamulla said:

well following on from my original post, my wife has had 2 more bouts of surgery in 2018 making that a total of 6 procedures in less than 11 years. It will never get any better and the impact it can have on your live is a lot more than we realise as you assume you will recover or adapt and move forwards.  Not so in some cases as a form of PTSD can kick in at any time after the event. 

Really sorry to hear that Ken. I've had a very brief window into partial sightedness over the past few days and it's awful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stuff in your eyes is awful!  Worse I’ve had was a metal filing on a windy day go into my eye and get stuff, usuall guy thing and left it for a few days until I couldn’t open both eyes 1 morning, got it fished out and spent nearly a week on the couch in the dark feeling sorry for myself.

  Had a few other bits of sawdust over th eyears but lads on site have managed to wash it out.

  You have my sympathy J, so easily done.  Grab a handful of the safety specs next time your in a tool shop, they are only a couple of pounds each.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

 

  You have my sympathy J, so easily done.  Grab a handful of the safety specs next time your in a tool shop, they are only a couple of pounds each.

The daft thing is that I always have two pairs in the van with the angle grinder!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow, few weeks ago, even with safety specs and my visor down a bit of something went in. You know how it is , it’ll be out in a minute, but not this time.

I went to truck and got through several phials of sterilised and by then my guys where trying to look at it and helping me with the cotton buds. They could see it but it refused to budge.

After 20 minutes, and things getting worse my foreman drives me to the next village which has a surgery, they’re shut for lunch, I’m first in the queue and wait , go in to be told by receptionist “we don’t do eyes, go to a&e”.

Now this means stopping the whole job, loading truck back up, and everybody on the team that day coming along as we only had the one vehicle and a&e is halfway home from the coast.

Don’t ask me how, but as they are halfway through packing up to take me, it comes out, a small innocent looking piece of barbed woodchip , but enough to incapacitate me for a while.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, oldwoodcutter said:

Somehow, few weeks ago, even with safety specs and my visor down a bit of something went in. You know how it is , it’ll be out in a minute, but not this time.

I went to truck and got through several phials of sterilised and by then my guys where trying to look at it and helping me with the cotton buds. They could see it but it refused to budge.

After 20 minutes, and things getting worse my foreman drives me to the next village which has a surgery, they’re shut for lunch, I’m first in the queue and wait , go in to be told by receptionist “we don’t do eyes, go to a&e”.

Now this means stopping the whole job, loading truck back up, and everybody on the team that day coming along as we only had the one vehicle and a&e is halfway home from the coast.

Don’t ask me how, but as they are halfway through packing up to take me, it comes out, a small innocent looking piece of barbed woodchip , but enough to incapacitate me for a while.

 

It only takes a tiny bit in the wrong place and you'd swear you had a log lodged there. Glad the bit worked itself free

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.