Turning your rough boards into lovely smooth ones

Peat

Send it air mail to UK :lol:

Used to use a very long Sagar jointer when doing my training. Was a great machine in use but a right B to set the blades. It was the old tap and check system and would take an age to get right. Can't remember the full circumstances but for some reason there was work carried out on it late into the night to try to get rid of slight imbalance in the cutter block. Next day she was up and running again. The bench shop was directly above the Sagar and heard the beast running and then a slightly odd noise followed by an almighty crash and what sounded like a very unbalanced spinning crashing noise. We were silent now in the bench room just looking at each other but calm-ish voices could be heard below so went to have a look see. Huge chunk of metal missing from the Sagar's bed and a small hole in the ceiling above the stairs and a very pale apprentice.

Turns out the outfeed beds bolts had not been properly secured from the evening works and the whole bed had slid into the cutters which in turn threw a knife which the apprentice who was standing on the stairs at the time saw coming and ducked! There was 16" planer knife embedded in the ceiling. No ducking no head, literally. A brand new Wadkin turned up the following week.

Edited by Woodworks

Not used them but the Hammer and Minimax machines look nicely made. Always liked the look of the Rojek kit but not sure they have UK importer at present. Then as already mentioned in this thread there's good old SH kit. Good cast machines can last a lifetime with the odd change of bearings and possibly motor so SH can be pretty good rout. You could consider a phase converter to open up your options. My Felder is 3 phase with a rotary type convertor. With planners the blade system needs serious consideration. There are a few systems often needing their own blades to fit. Consider the replacement cost of these as most are now disposable.

Edited by Woodworks

What's a good option for 240v (not 3~phase)?

you should be able to find a 12" on single phase.

i managed to pick up an old refurbished junior whitehead 12"x4" planer/thicknesser that weighed about 600kg for £850 from ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wadkin-12-X-7-Inch-Planer-Thicknesser-Single-phase-/251889177704?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa5c3d468

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STARTRITE-PLANER-THICKNESSER-SINGLE-PHASE-/221718543443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339f747c53

Single Phase Sedgwick planer thicknesser 10? x 7? from single phase workshop | eBay

robland planer thicknesser 12" bed single phase 240v -starting at 99p no reserve | eBay

one has just finished but there should be more out there.

Edited by se7enthdevil

I'm contemplating buying the planer head for my Lucas mill, then I will be able to plane 6ft. Just need to justify the expense. At the moment I mostly work in boards at 12" of less.

I too have been wondering about a planer but they are too expensive for the amount of work I have in mind, so I was wondering about making a bracket which can be easily fixed and removed to the Lucas Mill carriage, which would hold an electric planer or even that evil looking planing disc that fits on an angle grinder.

This grinder disc looks lethal freehand but perhaps useful when fixed to the Lucas.

A sander could be fixed in the same way.

The great thing about the Lucas Mill is that you end up with a finished board size in two quick passes. You can slab with a dedicated slabber but it seems a lot of slow faffing about for most jobs unless you are making huge table tops.

[ame]

[/ame]

The Peterson video shows a similar planer.

[ame]

[/ame]

I bought a 9" Cooksley planer thicknesser years ago and it works well for flooring just like this one

cooksley planer | eBay

but they need a lot of caution in use and one rule is not to stand in line behind them when feeding in.