ms260/261 or other options?

markcam

Just did a quick comparison between the 550xp and the 261. Very similar specs so I guess it comes down to user experience?

Has anybody used both??

I have, I had to use a 261 all bloody week :( 261 is gutless, heavy and slow, even worse, it was the non m-tronic version! The 550 was (to me) disappointing, it wasn't as aggressive or loud as I expected (being an improvement of the 346xp), this of course is due to the emissions stranglehold.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So neither hit the mark then eddy?

Unfortunately no, but I think my 346 was probably a very good one, it had been bedded in hard, and in the year I had it (damn smack heads), I'd blitzed through hundreds of trees, limbs and any other wood that needed cutting, whereas the 550 was a demo saw, it had low hours and my dealer has a habit of using 25:1 to bed saws in (whichever husky and Stihl staff came up with that need horse whipping). I then tried a 560 and never looked back. IMO you'd need to look far and wide to find a better saw than a 560xp (I currently own a vast array of Stihl and Husqvarna saws, from 346's to an 090!) if I had to pick 4 saws I'd never be without: ms150t, 560xp, 385xp and the 090, I just wish I'd bought the XPG model.

Hi

I have old 260 & its fine on 16 but depends what you want it to do, I dont cut as much as some people here but do a reasonable bit.

550 & 261 more or less similar cutting speed, 550 maybe a bit faster, holds its revs in the cut better IMO.

Just my thoughts as am looking for 50cc saw atm & tried a few, would like 346xp if I can get one as auto tune saws expensive here. 261 has had some issues but hopefully sorted by now.

N

Edited by NFG