ms260/261 or other options?

markcam

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a second hand 260 four years ago and it has been very good. Mainly used for cutting firewood, struggles with 18 inch bar cutting through 18-24 inch timber. Did some felling last year of sub 14 inch soft wood and it was ideal, light and well up to the job just a small fuel tank.

From following many similar threads over recent years it would certainly seem people favour the older saws of either brand. My chainsaw fixer sells Efco and rates them highly over similar Stihl or Husqvarna as they still have metal gearboxes and parts rather than the plastic the other two are using which cause problems.

I bought a second hand 260 four years ago and it has been very good. Mainly used for cutting firewood, struggles with 18 inch bar cutting through 18-24 inch timber. Did some felling last year of sub 14 inch soft wood and it was ideal, light and well up to the job just a small fuel tank.

From following many similar threads over recent years it would certainly seem people favour the older saws of either brand. My chainsaw fixer sells Efco and rates them highly over similar Stihl or Husqvarna as they still have metal gearboxes and parts rather than the plastic the other two are using which cause problems.

How many gears do they have ? Do they have a reverse gear ? :biggrin:

Metal gearboxes eh? Like the Stihl contra GS, 041G and the old homelites? All modern saws still have the same metal bits as what they were 20 years ago. Unfortunately emissions laws now restrict performance, if there were no regs, the machines would be scarily powerful!

To the OP, the 50cc Stihl chainsaws are the models I hate the most, my advice would be (in order of preference) husky, dolmar then Stihl.