Lathes.

Dan Earp

So have been looking for a lathe for a while now, and decided on the record power dml 305 but my local shop cant supply it due to their suppliers only stocking a lot larger lathe and unable to sell the 305.

Im looking at something that can be bench mounted 12-18" between centres and a total of 12-15" dia bowl to be turned. With or without a swivel headstock

Any other suggestions for a lathe ?

Or has someone a spare they would like to sell.

Im also looking at buying a supernova chuck and a colejaw set.

Im wanting to start turning pens bowls ,dish's ,square plates etc to start with and like a lathe thatll be good to start off with and great when i gain more experience

Thanks dan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i started with a real cheapo bench lathe for about a year, until i knew what i was doing. then i spent £300 on a used floor standing Union Graduate with accessories. i can do big stuff as well as smaller items. main points being that as a floor standing lathe, i get plenty of room to move around it, mainly good when hollowing out, and it is also heavy enough to be very stable. i also have a small bench mounted lathe for items like pens, pendants etc.

I was gunna buy a clarks lathe from machine mark, this weekend but have resisted for something better.

With most makes you can add legs and extensions to increase the distance between centres which is what i was thinking of doing once the lathe had paid for its self.

Also i dont have a massive amount of room hence a bench mounted version to start with

dan, don't waste £300 on a brand new lathe when you can learn all you need to on a cheap one.

Woodturning lathe | eBay

RECORD CORONET NO 3 WOOD TURNING LATHE - WITH STAND. 5 day listing. | eBay

Record DML 24x woodturning lathe | eBay

Record Power DML36SH woodturning lathe plus tools | eBay

here are a few suggestions you could buy.

once you have realised your skill level and what you enjoy doing most then buy a lathe that is 300-500 that caters for those requirements...

7th i had seen that dml24x but wasnt sure on it plus its fairly long. At the most i can fit a 1.4-1.5m total length lathe.

Then i was gunna go brand new with record power again due to its 5yr warranty. As i seem to go through belts like water to a fish on my bench sander which they just send out another one free of charge etc.