Stationary Rope Technique

daltontrees

SRT seems to be recognised now in the just published Industry Code of Practice.

Industry Code of Practice: Tree Work at Height

It's being called Stationary Rope Technique, which makes so much more sense than Single Rope. What's the reference to two parallel ropes about? Does that still come under the heading of SRT? I wouldn't think to out a fricvtion hitch around a doubled rope.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Historically, SRT refers to one length of rope, which is hung in a single leg style. The double rope with a hitch round both legs is also a stationary setup, but referred to as double rope technique, and used primarily for access. The third configuration, is doubled rope technique, two legs but both sides move at a bight point. This is supposedly now dynamic rope technique according to some people.

I don't see why we need to change the names when they've worked fine for decades before arbs started thinking they'd created something new by moving in both directions on srt.

Historically, SRT refers to one length of rope, which is hung in a single leg style. The double rope with a hitch round both legs is also a stationary setup, but referred to as double rope technique, and used primarily for access. The third configuration, is doubled rope technique, two legs but both sides move at a bight point. This is supposedly now dynamic rope technique according to some people.

I don't see why we need to change the names when they've worked fine for decades before arbs started thinking they'd created something new by moving in both directions on srt.

I prefer SRT to DRT or is it DDRT or SSQZPT. Any who if they were going to change from the widely accepted term it should be called Super Rope Technique. After all the poo pooing it seems like Single Rope Technique has got a new name as if to say the powers that be think it's kind of acceptable now? It cracked me up when people said SRT was dangerous because if you cut your rope above the hitch you would fall and die instantly?!

You will!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Not necessarily!

One should always have a sturdy work position facilitated by a correctly installed lanyard.

Also, both hands should be firmly gripping the saw in the correct manner.

Therefore, if one inadvertently cuts ones main line, a long fall will be avoided.

'Cos we always work like that. Innit!

From the link above;

"two sections of rope to be run parallel in order to facilitate a friction hitch or a mechanical device to be secured around both parts simultaneously. this could be a single rope doubled over and secured to prevent

separation"

Does anyone actually use this configuration? I know people have been playing with two independant srt lines, but this sounds ridiculous!:confused1:

What kind of mechanical device can be used on two legs of static rope at the same time?