2 men in a mewp?

wood cutter

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We had a 45 m truck mount from AFI Uplift about 2 weeks ago. I asked 3 separate people in the office if a chainsaw operator in the basket wold be an issue, NO i was told...driver came on site with MEWP says we are supposed to supply him with ppe before they go up! as no one mentioned this despite raising my concern with 3 different people we had no ppe for him! he went up anyway but later said that if he refused to go up with chainsaw operator then i would still be liable for the daily hire rate! Safe to say i wont be using them again :thumbdown:

Also make sure your rams are bang on. Our mewp operator was really good but he hit a dead limb with the boom and nearly took his head off when it smashed into the platform!

We had a 45 m truck mount from AFI Uplift about 2 weeks ago. I asked 3 separate people in the office if a chainsaw operator in the basket wold be an issue, NO i was told...driver came on site with MEWP says we are supposed to supply him with ppe before they go up! as no one mentioned this despite raising my concern with 3 different people we had no ppe for him! he went up anyway but later said that if he refused to go up with chainsaw operator then i would still be liable for the daily hire rate! Safe to say i wont be using them again :thumbdown:

Also make sure your rams are bang on. Our mewp operator was really good but he hit a dead limb with the boom and nearly took his head off when it smashed into the platform!

He wasn't that good an operator then!! Hitting the limb with the boom a big no no.What do you mean by make sure your rams are bang on,if there not it shouldn't be in service .

You should have a divider in cage this then prevents cut and somebody else holding that's the whole point of them .thats why ours is a 1 man mewp operator cutter rigger,you also get more outreach which is very important.

He wasn't that good an operator then!! Hitting the limb with the boom a big no no.What do you mean by make sure your rams are bang on,if there not it shouldn't be in service .

You should have a divider in cage this then prevents cut and somebody else holding that's the whole point of them .thats why ours is a 1 man mewp operator cutter rigger,you also get more outreach which is very important.

Near misses make you question things and now means my risk assessments contain even more info. Nobody was holding anything :confused1:. we had the mewp operator and our cutter in a 4 metre basket

WP_20150121_008.jpg.ef13b6260c73fea8d5b2e7fab024260d.jpg

Near misses make you question things and now means my risk assessments contain even more info. Nobody was holding anything :confused1:. we had the mewp operator and our cutter in a 4 metre basket

Sounds more like a hit than a miss,I was referring to previous posts regarding the dividers in the cage and people were talking about cut and hold.

You could fit a decent chunk in that 4 m cage there weird when they extend out 40+ m is a big machine for tree work.

My comment about the operator was not aimed at you personally the chap who services our 27m Ruthmann was telling me about an operator of a 72 m machine who hit a chimney / flue with it and bent the boom ,it cost £70k to repair, some operators shouldn't be if you know what I mean.

That mewp looks way too big for that tree and the size of the basket ludicrous for tree work .

Sounds more like a hit than a miss,I was referring to previous posts regarding the dividers in the cage and people were talking about cut and hold.

You could fit a decent chunk in that 4 m cage there weird when they extend out 40+ m is a big machine for tree work.

My comment about the operator was not aimed at you personally the chap who services our 27m Ruthmann was telling me about an operator of a 72 m machine who hit a chimney / flue with it and bent the boom ,it cost £70k to repair, some operators shouldn't be if you know what I mean.

Would of if it landed on his sweed :001_smile: we asked for a 27 metre articulated boom but as none were available they sent that out in liew

Would of if it landed on his sweed :001_smile: we asked for a 27 metre articulated boom but as none were available they sent that out in liew

Talk about making things hard for themselves ( and cutter ) . I realise now how he struck a limb trying to maneuver that bohemoth up the crown of a tree !