Leylandii for kindling?

kentjames

My best customers are people who used to make kindling. Unless you concentrate on making it in a biggish way there is no money in it. You may gain an extra 40 p profit on a bag but use a huge amount of time and equipment doing it.

We have tried using everything to make kindling but nothing works as well or looks as good as 3x2 and skirting board.

Neat tight packed bags fly off the shelf random packed bags with bark and knots are a struggle to sell and pack,on a pallet for delivery.

Our kindlet can do 70 bags an hour. But working on your own with smallish pieces of timber and a few jams you will be lucky to make 40 bags of neat kindling per hour. Take of the time to cut the timber up and I think we make about 25 bags an hour per person. So two people working the machine will make 50 bags an hour.

I have to take down some good size Leylandi in our garden sometime soon, hate the damn stuff with a vengeance as the sap is so sticky but found it burns well/hot with a good flame if seasoned in the open air for less than a year without issues, some that's been left to season in the open for more than two years dissappears in no time on the stove being as it's gone over/too dry. It's lovely stuff for the fire but for kindling it has to be too much effort?

Its to get rid of the sticky resin .

I've got an outside door made of pine planks and when the sun shines on it resin oozes out. It still does this and it's been up 20 years. It's the resin that makes the wood burn so well I think, I've not had any for a while but it's always welcome. :thumbup1:

Been burning loads of it this winter. :biggrin: Most of it has been logs that I split last spring from trees that had been cut and left in the elements for about four years. Absolutely no problem with the resin that way and they burn a treat. I've mixed them with oak, scotts and beech. I actually like conifer, it burns hot and clean. IMHO hardwood sooftwood mix is the way to go. I'm actually thinking of trying hardwood kindling and softwood logs.