Logosol sawmill

axehaircut

Hi all,

I'm on the verge of dipping into my shallow pockets to purchase a Logosol Farmers sawmill and a M8 carriage for it. The idea and background is that I have a young hardwood forest and I'm trying to be able to get some cash flow going through the summer by making various products with milled wood. I've been selling firewood for a few years and then doing odds and ends to get through the spring and summer months, so I'm hoping this might give me a bit of a leg up in the right direction.

The biggest timber diameter at the moment would be 50cm and on average 30cm-ish. I have a Stihl 660 to run on it.

I would be grateful for any advice on whether this is a good idea in regard to investment cost and if anyone has any experience with this particular model?

Cheers

swings and roundabouts, both systems will produce good timber, yes the bandmill will be a little quicker, but will requiree a bit more work to finish the surface, the logosol, with the right angle on the chain will give a finish that only requires a quick sanding, fuel usage depends on what saw your going to use as opossed to a 4stroke kohler 9.5hp engine, the logosol wins on portability, but a good trailer base means the woodland mill isnt far behind

We're looking at getting a Woodland Sawmill this year. It's a bit more that one of the M8 mills but quite a lot cheaper than other bandmills . Higher yield than a chain mill and faster too, I suspect you'd use less fuel per m3 of output.

I've got the Timbery M100, supplied by Woodmizer UK, and the same price as the Woodland. Overnight blades and spares have a lot to be said for them. As I understand it, the Woodland stuff has to come from the states!

Definitely greater yield and much more economical on fuel than a 660! :)

I've got the Timbery M100, supplied by Woodmizer UK, and the same price as the Woodland. Overnight blades and spares have a lot to be said for them. As I understand it, the Woodland stuff has to come from the states!

Definitely greater yield and much more economical on fuel than a 660! :)

if you dont mind me asking what sort of price range was the timbrey M100?

did you get a cost for the M280 (bigger one without trailer?)

how do you find it?

Thanks, John

Hi all,

I'm on the verge of dipping into my shallow pockets to purchase a Logosol Farmers sawmill and a M8 carriage for it. The idea and background is that I have a young hardwood forest and I'm trying to be able to get some cash flow going through the summer by making various products with milled wood. I've been selling firewood for a few years and then doing odds and ends to get through the spring and summer months, so I'm hoping this might give me a bit of a leg up in the right direction.

The biggest timber diameter at the moment would be 50cm and on average 30cm-ish. I have a Stihl 660 to run on it.

I would be grateful for any advice on whether this is a good idea in regard to investment cost and if anyone has any experience with this particular model?

Cheers

I've got a Logosol mill, and run 084 on it. Also got the timberjig, which is usefull for breaking down bigger stuff.

Logosol is not for day in day out work - you know if you've been on it eight hours

The main benefit I get is being able to take the mill to the tree. Cuts down on haulage costs, and you can get some fair feet cut if you have a tractor bringing wood to you.

Keep everything bolted tight and you should be alright.

Logosol UK are helpful with parts, and there are some good deals to be had.

Thanks guys I'm feeling a little less pessimistic now,

I understand the efficiency of the bandsaw mill will out perform the logosol but after hearing your thoughts, it doesn't seem to be the worst idea to start off with the logosol and then if I find that I need a more productive system down the line when Cash is slowly coming in from produce I can always upgrade to a Bandsaw then.

I don't think due to the nature of how I work it'll be a machine I'll be at for hours/weeks on end, more than likely it'll be used when I get straight/true bits of trunks suitable to plank and just plank them as I need them (prehaps 5 hours a week?). If I can keep a stock pile going this might be good to keep em in the round for a while before hand.

I heard it before that the chainsaw mill will leave a good finish but I'm glad to hear it being confirmed. I do a good bit of carpentry work and "finishing off" wood can be seriously time consuming.

Sorry the outlay of the standard farmers mill and M8 carriage will come in just over 2k euro/1500+STR. I think the woodlands is 4.5k/5k euro? So it'll work out a little over double the price. I dunno but I suppose I'm a little bit cautious and it's a brave new milling world for me. Like I said a band mill might be a necessity later but I couldn't buy it unless I knew it was going to be running 3 days a week flat out for investment/risk reasons. I understand the point about fuel but the for the moment I can afford to fill it as I go, compared to not being able to afford spending the extra 2K, if you know what I mean :)

Is there any reason you're not thinking about an Alaskan mill just to get started?

A much lower initial outlay, especially if you already have the saw and if things start to take off you can sell it on later if you need to invest in other equipment.

I am taking delivery of a Farmers M8 next Tue, while purchasing the 390 saw from my local dealer.(substantially cheaper than Logosols offer price btw)

To get me started, I thought the 25 year anni offer was "not unreasonable".

I was very very tempted to go for the M8 with the 661 Stihl, but felt it was unjustified.

I may even use the Logosol to cut timbers to build a shed to house the Baker bandsaw mill.

I had also been promising myself a 2nd saw this while, and can run the same bar and 325 chain on both the 026 and the 390(when not on the mill)