Dismantle on quiet B road

Leeds Tree Care

Recently picked up some work felling approx 30 mature oaks by a quiet B road. Any one out there had any experience of crashing trees over a road. What are the requirements? Traffic lights, crash matts? Best to farm out to traffic management company or do it myself? If we do fell them over road we will need to move the butts (2' diameter) as quick as possible. Any advice - thinking of investing in a log arc from logrite as i could do with one for my own woods anyway. Appreciate your thoughts wise people.

James

You can stop traffic for around 20 mins as far as I know, we used atrafic management company for this job, there was a fair queue by the time we opened up the road....

Make sure you do it through the proper channels, if you use a TM company they will usually do it all for you...

[ame]

[/ame]

Take a look at volume 6 of the NJUG document. We, as an industry, are now lumped in with utilities and as such have to abide by the rules. the TMA and NRSWA give strict guidelines on what must be done when working adjacent to or on the highway. Someone on site must also hold relevant qualifications for traffic management. Any obstruction to the highway, this includes parked vehicles involved in works, is considered a hazard and has to be managed in accordance with current streetworks legislation.

Some companies/businesses get away without doing any of this stuff all the time.

Consider your workforce. If the correct control measures are not in place and managed in accordance with legislation, and someone is injured, you are in the dock.

One of your guys sustaining an injury is bad enough to live with. Knowing it could have been prevented and having HSE take you to court for that privilege is a bonus I'm not sure I'd want.

If it is a minor B road you can contact sun traffic, lux or other TM company they will let you know if there is a suitable diversion that could be set up so that the road can be closed. This is not very expensive just sometimes time consuming as you need to speak to the local highways to request the closure. Alternatively the TM company would set up traffic management quite cheaply. If you have chapter 8 you can oversea it ant costs can be as little as 250-300 for a week or manned by them for about £180/day.

All you would need to supply them is a Google image of your working area and they will do the rest.:thumbup:

Its not in leeds it is down in hertfordshire! Strange i know. Near Berkhampstead. Its for a family friend. He owns both sides of the road garden one side - woodland the other. Can't drop them into the garden as tennis courts and maze are in the drop zone. So what would i be looking at cost wise for traffic management per day?