SSSI Advice needed

Hi. I am in the middle of purchasing a 5.5 acre woodland mainly douglas fir, red oak and hornbeam in Snowdonia.

I have just found out that the woodland has an SSSI on it and would like to find out more about what can/cant be done with this on it.

The possible plan is to clear fell all the 40 yr old Douglas fir in the next 2-4 years, send them to mill to be turned into fencing/landscaping products then use/sell in my landscaping business.

Your advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

The last paragraph on this site just specify that the basic management for enhancement can be done. Naturenet:Site of Special Scientific Interest

I would however strongly suggest for specific needs so that you get it totally right and Natural England can't get on your back about it, ring them have a. Chat about what it is you'd like to do and they will tell you if it's do able or not.

There is plenty of information on the Web about sssi but I've always found its easier to goto the horses mouth. That way they can tailor their information to suit you.

Gareth

I would stall the purchase until you understand the SSSI. Theres a site on an MTB route I use and after strong winds there were a few broken branches on the floor. Talking to a neighbour of the site and he said that the wood couldnt even be moved without permission!!

Definitely worth checking out any restrictions your site may have before you buy

As the wood is in Wales you need to speak to NRW:

Natural Resources Wales /

What you can do will very much depend what the SSSI is for. Some are broad and cover a wide area and others are very site specific. You will need to talk to NRW and agree whatever work you want doing to make sure it does not damage the SSSI features. On the plus side there could be funding available if your work will enhance the SSSI.

I would strongly suggest trying to arrange a site visit with NRW to discuss your proposal or at the very least get a copy of the site designation notice for the woodland so you can see what its protected for and what condition the sssi is in regarding this. If its designated for very specific species or ecosystems then this could have significant impacts on your proposed plans especially on such a small site

Would also be worth organising a visit from a woodland agent and/or harvesting contractor. They could estimate the timber potential and financial cost/return of clear felling. 5.5 acres isn't a lot and depending on the SSSI, timber quality, terrain, haulage, replanting, etc the operation could end up costing you far more than you'll get back.

just to add to what has already been said. find out what the conditions on the site are befor applying for a felling licence (application for clear felling may harm your chances of being granted permission for future management plan's). I've done work in in sssi and aonb's and been granted felling licence no problem It's how you go about it. a ccf management plan may be your best option some will have conditions where you can only use low impact machinery this shouldn't be a problem on such a small site. it may lower your costs as well you can allow natural regeneration in the place of replanting something as small as a quad bike or a Kubota can handle fairly large stems if set up right.

by only taking out what you need when you need it you can get much more out of a small woodland and it may be of much more value to you in the end.

just something to think about.

Hi Guys! Many thanks for your informative advice. I managed to speak to the regional representative of NRW today. We had a good chat and he said that the sssi mainly covers the geological aspects of the site as the wood is at the foot of cadair idris and in snowdonia national park! It would mainly be difficult if I wanted to put in some more tracks etc but the wood already has excellent tracks and access so no worries there. He also said that there would be a bit more paperwork but possibly more grants available for what I have planned.

Cheers All! :thumbup1: