Horizontal splitter

Jimbob87

We've done some just this year into bundles, to see if it suits our system. Haven't got to sawing them for delivery yet. We lack wind and firm ground so find billets dry well and stay clean, however the repeat handling is a swine. A good processor must be simpler, if you have the yard set-up.

John

A good processor is easier and simpler still need to billet to get rid of oversize though

Has anyone fed billets through a bilke processor.?seems the ideal way to cut them ...or do you get a load of kindling?

Bilke split everything, so you would have to billet really chunky, to allow for this.

You will get lots of small kindling bits, so you will have to screen this out.

The logs wont be the tidiest looking, compared to processor stuff, but I do see it working well.

Alot cheaper than an automatic saw

I sell softwood billets at 45.00 delivered and hardwood at 55.00 delivered per cubic metre. A bundle holds half a cube after 50% air allowance. The customer ends up getting 25% more wood this way compared to loose split loads. Usually sell more soft than hard as am pushing soft more and more. Quite frankly the quicker burning is just crap.

I don't see much of a profit for us selling hardwood at £55. from the tests we did last year on green beech only getting 1.5m3 to a ton at £52+vat delivered.

yes, we sold some bundles recently wholesale they were ash mainly split for one month, they weighed 430kg per bundle, we asked £60+ vat per. Which I thought I could live with. But next trip was offered only £50+ vat, which I cannot see being able to sustain.

Also, splitting large cord down into processor size chunks is a joy compared to splitting down to finished sellable size billets.

Anyone used either of these or one similar. Pros cons? Really looking to upgrade the on floor one we have now in the future so starting my homework now

Jim

Hi bought a 30 binderberger in 2002 to break up oversize logs as was getting a lot of tree length hardwood .Does a great job 30 tonne ram seems to cope with everything I have put in.Is 3 point mounted and pto just runs at tick over on 1000 pto.Still as good as when I got it no bends or other problems at all.Only thing I would like to upgrade to is a 2.5 m radio controlled one so I could use it from the truck crane as I load it ,but that looks like spending 20 grand so not on.The posch looks the same but get the 30 tonne ram.

Hope this helps Chris.