X Rigging Rings, thoughts

RC0

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Reg,

We're starting to put some together in to the rigging arsenal at work and hearing from someone who's got time served using them is very useful in terms of the comparison of pros and cons of the rings against blocks.

For me (who hasn't rigged anything from up in a tree for eons) it's interesting to see the development from 3 strand topping strops to pulley blocks to rigging rings.

Christmas seems to go on for a while in Canada then?:biggrin:

Now THAT was very interesting. I totally get what you,re saying about have some friction within the rigging system,just never thought I would hear you say it! Lots of plus points there indeed.especially about balancing the friction between the rings and the barrel.Very informative vid so thanks for sharing.Great breakfast viewing as usual...just on a sideline,it's true the Spiderjack can be jumpy especially combined with pulley due to its clutch/cramming mechanics and after a couple of years on mine as soon as I tried the ZigZag I swapped permanently...not only does it takes a fraction of the time to master,but combined with a pulley comes into it,s own and thrives on As little friction as possible! Like the sweater by the way..:thumbup1:

Hi Reg, that sweater explanation was so dead pan! I'm with you all the way on the rings. We stopped using 2 together though as the coating began to take a clout. Ring size comensurate with wood size as there is a heap to choose from. Sitting in my car about to go home after a days use with the biggy. Hope your well mate. Paul

I recon the guy in the surf shop got a load of Xmas jumpers cheap :001_tt2:

Interesting vid. I do a lot of natural crotch rigging, in conjunction with a friction device. Yes it is hard on ropes - to the point where I carry a 1/2inch 16 strand climbing line for the purpose - they are quite resilient to the abuse compared to a rigging line. As well easy anchor point change, it also allows me to go a bit bigger on smaller rigging points. The friction being the key as well as the removal of the doubling effect of the pulley. If the tree is to be preserved I also carry a ring to ring friction saver which I guess is the nearest thing to the rigging rings.

How does the bend radius compare to a rigging block ? It does not look favourable on large lines for blocking down heavy timber, especially if it has to be caught.