Pricing stock fence and hanging gates

ajmoore1

As a fencer myself I've no problem hanging gates of strainers, short runs require to be cut and tied off just like long lengths and are worse to get tight so I would charge no less,

If the ground is good then you should chap in the strainer, round or square depends on the customer,

Im charging no less than 2.80 per metre just now for erection only,

The knocker I have got hasn't got a rock spike. It's a quantock pd5, (200kg) weight. I am considering swapping but have few options,

1. swap it for a protech 200 with rock spike. Advantages are it's got the rock spike and side shift which mine currently hasn't got.

2. keep my existing knocker and put the money to buy a hydraulic auger for the mini digger. We have got a takeuchi tb016 1.5 ton.

Not sure which would be the best, current knocker struggles with big gate post but if I bored a 4inch pilot hole first would that be ok?

Can only afford to do one so what do people think auger or knocker with bigger weight side shift and rock spike.

Cheers

Whatever you do- if you decide to go for the protech p200 go for the 'tele' version which means you can side shift along the fenceline- saves so much faffing around and does a much neater job as you can continually make small adjustments to keep the post going in straight and the mast parallel with the stake.

I agree with Matthew there, side shift is a must and much cheaper in the long run. I bought a second hand auger that goes on my front loader and have hardly used it, I would much rather knock them in. I have just upgraded the wrag on my tracked dumper to the p22 protech with rockspike and 300kg weight and that knocks 8"x8" squares no problem. I would also prioritise a rockspike over a bigger weight too, if a posts not going in due to an obstacle then a bigger weight wont help but a rock spike will.

I agree with Matthew there, side shift is a must and much cheaper in the long run. I bought a second hand auger that goes on my front loader and have hardly used it, I would much rather knock them in. I have just upgraded the wrag on my tracked dumper to the p22 protech with rockspike and 300kg weight and that knocks 8"x8" squares no problem. I would also prioritise a rockspike over a bigger weight too, if a posts not going in due to an obstacle then a bigger weight wont help but a rock spike will.

Yes totally agree with that last sentence, we've just finished a job where every post had to be rockspiked first, if you didn't spike it, then you either snap the stake or the point would splay up and not go anywhere, rockspiking each hole was a little time consuming but at least the job was do-able.

Just about to order a new postdriver for the digger- can't decide between the Protech or Vector one.

Yes it was! I have kept the wrag though to go on the tractor, only reason for swapping to protech was because they did the proper kit for my dumper with the right pumps, fittings, handbrake kit etc. Still rate the wrag though, much better finished than the protech. I recently sold a wrag digger knocker and if I was buying one again for a digger I would go for one. They have a proper mast and if you get one with side tilt its a really smart machine. Also if you get it rockspike ready you can take rockspike off your other machine and put it on which is handy!

Yes I like that the wrag digger one has a full length mast rather than the 'leg' which protech have, however I find that its all a bit of a chuckle brothers process getting the mast lined up with the post on the digger ones which is why I prefer the design of the vector one- http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608044353120830147&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0 you don't have to worry from the cab that the mast is exactly plumb, just make adjusts as you knock it in and the man on the ground just uses the spirit level on the post. Also you can press down on the post with the weight of the machine which is surpisingly more effective at making the post go in. My old digger knocker was of this design but it was too lightly built and keeps cracking welds/mast

If I could of got £2.80-3-00 a metre for erection only up this way I would still be fencing, packed it in and sold the post knocker last spring after best part of 20 years as due to the amount of fencing contractors round this way £1.80m made me expensive whilst not covering fuel and labour etc.