Side tipper

lumberjacks

Hi I'd appreciate any input I wanted to mount a crane on the back of a 3 way tipping body, but would it be a disaster to try tip wood chip or move awkward 80 percent of the time

Any input would be appreciated

I think the occasional inconvenience of a side tip are far out weighed by the advantages of a rear mounted crane. Tipping rings off the side can be a challenge when they start rolling under the truck but other than that its no big deal.

bob

• 3 weeks later...

Must thinking of getting a 18t lorry and putting a side tipper on it as it has rear mounted crane. Are there any issues with the extra strength required on the tipping gear? Is chip spilling under rear wheels a big drama? I'd need to re- think my tip site I think...

Anyone got any good photos of side tippers in action or know ADV/disadv?

Cheers

Mark

The only thing I would change on the side tip mog body would be the body sides. At the moment its got a lower section as in conventional tipper sides that swing down and the upper section swings from the top of the chip box. At some point I will change this so its got a one piece side door that swings only from the top and include one of those lever release mechanisms to release it like on the tipper body below, at least you can be stood to one side when the load fires out.

tip_1.jpg (41.7 KB)

Trying to knock out those normal tipper body latches and get out of the way of a timber avalanche is hard work.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=177446&stc=1&d=1425117313

images.jpg.8f1a41637a5ccbdd84c189f0d9b35aa9.jpg

tip_1.jpg.e6deaeea13ed509fd03bf1ddd0776cdc.jpg

Cheers, does much of the chip run under the truck? Also does the chassis need more bracing than is required on a rear tipper?

Mark

A bit more chip under the chassis than a rear tip. If you are converting to a 3way or side tip you would need to make sure the pivot points are up to the job. A decent welder/fabricator would help you out. Someone with Agricultural background preferably.