hiab crane for log deliveries

woody woodpecker

I would recommend if you can afford it going hydraulic if you have many deliveries with walls or high hedges so you can lift over, if you add power you can hang a winch for basement deliveries. height can be an issue for putting in carports and garages if you just have kingpost and boom a 2 boom system would be an advantage there.

I also wouldn't skimp on the support ours got a full underchasis frame for support, another merchant here just used a plate underneath to bolt to and they seem to be in at the welders every other week.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I want one if/when I get a truck. Plus combined with an arb trolley some big timber can be extracted for use as milling/carving also reduces cleanup on site.

You lose a little over 200kg of payload though

Hiab 017 T | Hiab United Kingdom | Load Handling Solutions

The time you add strengthening and a motor and pump you will lose a fair bit more than that.

I want one if/when I get a truck. Plus combined with an arb trolley some big timber can be extracted for use as milling/carving also reduces cleanup on site.

You lose a little over 200kg of payload though

Hiab 017 T | Hiab United Kingdom | Load Handling Solutions

we had the spare wheel removed the chassis cut shorter aluminium bed fitted basically if it could be cut off or made lighter it was and we still lost around 500kg from the payload capacity we have max 875kg now from 1.4-1.5t which means 2 90x90 bags of seasoned hardwood.

I'd recommend what you have mentioned, Hiab and bags.

log bags are filled by the processor in August, stacked on pallets 3 high for storage inside and then delivered by Hiab, best thing ever as I work as a 1 man band on firewood so it's really easy.

I leave the bag with them and they bring it back when empty, no mess on the floor for them and I do drop them over hedges, hot tubs etc. As for unloading I cannot get them inside garages, but it's never been an issue.

A bonus I found is time, massive reduction in handling. and consistent log amounts, no more guessing if it was 1 cu/m, just a bag or half a bag.

As for my 'personal wood' I put the bag on a trolley and push it into the log shed, so I don't even unload it until it's going on the fire.

I learnt years ago that arriving with trailers meant lost time as you have to get them off and they usually rock up with a dodgy wheelbarrow and want to barrow it off the trailer up the top of the garden, I could loose 30 mins easily.

One more thing, you can also keep your tipper and 'tip off ' the bags, I can get 2 on my tipping trailer and get them off upright and safe, by using a sling and rope as it tips, so you don't have to get the hiab straight away.

Try ex-council for vans with hiabs, their looked after and well modified to do the job, I nearly bought a water board 'bin wagon DENNIS lorry ' converted with a 'staff sized cab, a solid workshop, with side tipper body and rear hiab off ebay for less than 3k, best of all it was a 'special vehicle' so could run on red, and be driven on a car licence.

I learnt years ago that arriving with trailers meant lost time as you have to get them off and they usually rock up with a dodgy wheelbarrow and want to barrow it off the trailer up the top of the garden, I could loose 30 mins easily.

Depends if said trailer has a crane fitted :)

6 bags per load