New member, rec's for saw?

Duncan R

Hi Duncan, I would say it's always worth comparing to the Husqvarna range as a thought. I used to use an old 260 and then a brand spanking 261CM at work but prefer my Husqvarna 357xp as a go to all rounder currently. Worth mentioning that if buying I've seen some fantastic second hand saws going but always view and try the saw out in person if you do go down that route. Particularly with ebay - I'd really avoid postage from unknown sellers and just go local! Good luck and enjoy your purchase.

LeedsTreeCare | Sustainable Tree Management

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again all......just come in from logging up larger sections of that Ash ready for splitting, (I guess some of you pro's are fit as butchers dogs!? it's bloody hard work I find), the saw bogs down unless taking it steady so a little more oomph wouldn't go amiss to make less a job of it for sure, it just lacks that little bit of torque to complete cuts without fuss so gets a tad frustrating after a while.

My "little" saw is a Dolmar 109 which I've owned from new. It's 43cc, as handy as you like and will pull a 15in bar through anything quite comfortably. I'm sure there's a modern equivalent in both Dolmar and Makita.

Something around that size sounds like all you need.

My "little" saw is a Dolmar 109 which I've owned from new. It's 43cc, as handy as you like and will pull a 15in bar through anything quite comfortably. I'm sure there's a modern equivalent in both Dolmar and Makita.

Something around that size sounds like all you need.

Mind more or less set on Makita/Dolmar 50cc with a 16" bar. Heart says Stihl, head says otherwise.......now at that finger poised on 'order' button stage.

Hi Duncan, I would say it's always worth comparing to the Husqvarna range as a thought. I used to use an old 260 and then a brand spanking 261CM at work but prefer my Husqvarna 357xp as a go to all rounder currently. Worth mentioning that if buying I've seen some fantastic second hand saws going but always view and try the saw out in person if you do go down that route. Particularly with ebay - I'd really avoid postage from unknown sellers and just go local! Good luck and enjoy your purchase.

LeedsTreeCare | Sustainable Tree Management

LTC, not really familiar enough with the pitfalls of secondhand saws so while I may well get a better spec' unit for similar/less money I'd rather go new.....knowing my luck I'd end up with a dog for some reason or another! I'll sell the MS181 with a new chain/bar plus originals and other a bits/pieces confident someone will be very happy with it as it's been well cared for, I appreciate what you're saying but have been stung too many times in the past.

I think you'd find that a huge improvement on what you have now without going completely OTT on weight, power, or money!

I ended up ordering a Makita 5121/45 promo for £332 inclusive of VAT and delivery, seemed too good a deal to pass up so it's winding it's way to me for Monday. Already have somebody mildly interested in the MS181, I'm guessing that'll sell easy enough.

I ended up ordering a Makita 5121/45 promo for £332 inclusive of VAT and delivery, seemed too good a deal to pass up so it's winding it's way to me for Monday. Already have somebody mildly interested in the MS181, I'm guessing that'll sell easy enough.

Ya did well. If that muff has a cat, tho, I'd remove it asap.