Balancing a Education with Work

SPC Trees

Hi Chris,

You are right they are different courses, the PD is aimed at Consultancy and is full on, I did a couple of the modules with TreeLife. In those days it was all examination based with a practical/management day.

The BSc is heavily weighted towards plant science and research, if you have no experience of 5837 surveys then a BSc will not equip you to carry these out.

But if you want to learn about the science of trees, soils, biotechnology, environmental plant biology etc then the degree is worthwhile.

They are two different qualifications at a high academic level offering two discrete pathways to becoming a professional Arb. and should be synergistic.

Cheers,

Leigh

Hi Chris,

You are right they are different courses, the PD is aimed at Consultancy and is full on, I did a couple of the modules with TreeLife. In those days it was all examination based with a practical/management day.

The BSc is heavily weighted towards plant science and research, if you have no experience of 5837 surveys then a BSc will not equip you to carry these out.

But if you want to learn about the science of trees, soils, biotechnology, environmental plant biology etc then the degree is worthwhile.

They are two different qualifications at a high academic level offering two discrete pathways to becoming a professional Arb. and should be synergistic.

Cheers,

Leigh

Yeah I agree totally.

Cheers,

Chris.

I recently finished my Dip Arb L6 with Tree Life (can't rate them enough) plus I run a tree surgery company employing 4 full time, 5 if you include the office, 6 if you include me, so a fair chunk of time needed quoting etc.

The only advice I can offer in terms of doing the study work is to accept that you'll be working well into the night, every weekend and early mornings - I would get up at 0500hrs twice a week and do an hour or so before I'd go to the yard; if you want it enough you'll find the time.

In terms of what it's given me, I'm working with 3 well respected consultants and accruing my own consultancy work.

Hope it helps

I recently finished my Dip Arb L6 with Tree Life (can't rate them enough) plus I run a tree surgery company employing 4 full time, 5 if you include the office, 6 if you include me, so a fair chunk of time needed quoting etc.

The only advice I can offer in terms of doing the study work is to accept that you'll be working well into the night, every weekend and early mornings - I would get up at 0500hrs twice a week and do an hour or so before I'd go to the yard; if you want it enough you'll find the time.

In terms of what it's given me, I'm working with 3 well respected consultants and accruing my own consultancy work.

Hope it helps

Yes it does help, and thanks all who have had an input... Think it goes without saying the education route is well worth going down :thumbup1: