Woodburning stove - cost

Tree Lc

Was it a proper stainless coal and wood flue or just some old aluminium Copex for a gas fire ? I'm even cheaper, why do I need the flue lined when it's been in use for over 100 years with no problems. I just used a couple of lengths of solid flue to get through the closing plate and it's worked fine for the last 12 years with a 4kw Hunter stove.

It was just a roll of ribbed stuff, dunno what it is called, just enough to fit a single storey cottage. clambered up the roof and fed it down meself, new chimney pot and elephants foot job done.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi depending on the length of the liner and the grade depends on the price!

Generally for a tipical semi I charge around £1000 that's for a 904 grade liner and new hearth fitted, however all fitters are different.

In relation to condensation this is formed before the stove has got upto temp as the warm air meets the cold air in the chimney this causes the condensation.

So if your round my area and want a quote give us a call, 07990830733

By the way I've just got Hetas registered,

Chris:thumbup:

I take the closing plate and top flue out and sweep the chimney with a brush and rods. If there is air flow through the chimney where will the condensation come from ? Seasoned wood should not make any more deposits than smokeless fuel and if it's burning completely will make considerably less from what I have seen coming down the chimney when I sweep it.

Unless your burning kiln dried wood straight from the kiln, theres always moisture in the wood so there will be steam going up your chimney which will condense in a cold chimney. Theres also vapours from the resin in the wood which will condense as tar.

Any condensed water can mix with sulphur in the flue gas and form sulphuric acid which will eat at the brick work over time. A build up of tar and soot can lead to a chimney fire.

insulated flues stop all of the above by keeping the water and tar as gasses until they exit the flue, where they condense and drift onto your neighbours patch:confused1:

I have fitted two in my house, both hetas certified and have spent less than a grand. Bought the cheapest 8kw and 3kw stoves I could find put them in myself and got an engineer to certify them and test the flues. I already had flues in the house which I just opened up, without them it would have been more costly obviously.

You can buy special smoke bombs to check the flue for leaks and work out if you need a liner or not. Which I did before installing, does mean scrambling on the roof to cover the top of the pot and if you share a wall check next door at the same time.

Anyone had a small woodburning stove fitted to an existing fireplace recently ?

The other half wants one.

Our fireplace will need linned, and a hearth with the smallest stove available.

If you are in Sussex area perhaps you could let me know what you think the rough price would be. Or anyone who has had one done recently please let me know.

Yes I know, weather is getting warmer. But she wants one!

Tree LC

Tree surgery Horsham

I am in West Sussex and fitted mine with a mate who has a wood burner fitting firm . He did it for mates rates £500 . He supplied the liner and register plate and got on the roof and fitted the liner . It was originally 7.5 inch clay liners so the 6 inch stainless fitted like a glove .

DSCF0017.jpg.aa02c03226102b142711ecfd156e016d.jpg

Re: Woodburning stove - cost

It's easy to fit yourself, I have installed three now, one in my old house, the one where I live now and one for my neighbour I got building regs and passed so no need of Heatas.

However it costs £300 to get it signed off by a building inspector so works out cheaper through some Hetas engineers. :thumbup:

I used to have a Parkray stove ( mostly coal ) this got replaced with a gas back boiler , which was then removed after 15 years and replaced with a combi boiler under the stairs leaving an empty fireplace . The chimney contains a concrete tubular liner which was fine for coal so also OK for wood , I fitted a woodburner ( 5 KW ) register plate and a short length of pipe up in to existing chimney and it has worked fine ever since , most companies will recommend a flue liner just to be sure ( and extra sale ) even if not necessary, make sure you also fit smoke / carbon monoxide alarms as well !!

I've had three of these and the best one I've come across is the Firefox. Made in England not cheap Chinese trash but it is good value for money easy to use and chucks out the heat.

Fit yourself and save money .

You need a 150mm flue liner these days but it's a simple job as long as you get all the measurements right.

You just have to get Building Control forms from your local council and be inspected at the start and finish.