Fans on log burner?

swinny

depends on your layout and how hot the top of your stove gets. i had a twin blade heat driven (£47ebay), good but my stove cycles cooler input air through the top so it doesn't get hot enough to drive it to it's full potential. i now use an electric driven fan, and, yes, it blasts the heat away from going up the chimney, ( i have a relatively large fire place), and makes a significant difference to heating other parts of the house. i gave the heat driven fan to my daughter, who has a stove that gets hot enough on top to drive it, she's over the moon as it warms her entire caravan, and keeps the condensation away. definitely recommended.

I fitted a stove over a year ago in the hope that it would heat the entire house from a central location so fully intended to fit the stove with a fan from the start.

However I was busy with work, busy with getting the stove itself installed and busy with a Christmas charity that I help, so we got the stove installed ok but I hadn't the time to research the fans and the stove was fired up without the fan. Inside a couple of days it became obvious that the stove would heat the whole house anyway without a fan. I'm quite surprised as it's a bungalow and has to move the air quite a bit to the furthest bedrooms, but it does it and does it very well.

No doubt if the fan had been fitted from the start I'd have been attributing the success of the entire operation, incorrectly, to it. Whereas it seems if the stove is hot enough it'll set up quite an airflow in the space anyway and not just upwards.

depends on your layout and how hot the top of your stove gets. i had a twin blade heat driven (£47ebay), good but my stove cycles cooler input air through the top so it doesn't get hot enough to drive it to it's full potential. i now use an electric driven fan, and, yes, it blasts the heat away from going up the chimney, ( i have a relatively large fire place), and makes a significant difference to heating other parts of the house. i gave the heat driven fan to my daughter, who has a stove that gets hot enough on top to drive it, she's over the moon as it warms her entire caravan, and keeps the condensation away. definitely recommended.

Agree!

It works for us and I like it. Lent it to a mate to try before he bought 1 and it didn't work for him - he said it was useless. From that, I'd say it depends on your circumstances. He found that circulating the air drew cold air in from outside via a drafty door.

Agree!

It works for us and I like it. Lent it to a mate to try before he bought 1 and it didn't work for him - he said it was useless. From that, I'd say it depends on your circumstances. He found that circulating the air drew cold air in from outside via a drafty door.

So the door was useless not the fan!

I understood the fan moved the air so it didn't sit at ceiling level and build up slowly, therefore making the stove more fuel efficient, I have a boiler stove so I guess a fan would not work for me, not enough heat from stove?

So the door was useless not the fan!

I understood the fan moved the air so it didn't sit at ceiling level and build up slowly, therefore making the stove more fuel efficient, I have a boiler stove so I guess a fan would not work for me, not enough heat from stove?

Yes, yes!

It was an old and cranky house (and friend!) No good trying to explain to him!

I'd have had more success trying to eat his stove :001_smile: