How to start up advertising

amd250

I'm looking into doing some work for myself and need to attract work. Whats the best way to start with this? direct letters to possible places that I think may be interested? also how much info do I put on this initial letter ?. ]

Is it worth attempting to get work from farms, or will it be a waste of time, as they might do there own tree work although not qualified or anything.

All help will be greatly received :thumbup:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put postcard size cards in grocery, garden centres and post office windows in areas I wanted to work in. The ladies always read these! (power behind the throne and all that)

They also think you are local when in fact some cards were miles away from my base but in a good work area. Also you can test out an area before going for a newspaper/parish mag advert which are also good.

In 20 years of trading I think I've worked for maybe 10 farmers, they don't often pay people to do something they can bodge themselves, IME.

Ive been in business for 7 years now and ive just got my first job working for a farmer, we are only taking down two small trees. When I was there I noticed a 3-4ft Ash stump which the farmer told me he took down himself a few years ago. I don't know why he wants us to take down these two small trees when hes got the skills/equipment to take down a big old Ash!

Hi there large size postcard A5, well made attractive cards in color work a treat I use vistaprint brilliant .I also have a website . don't bother with the usual small business cards they land up in the bin no one keeps these they are a wast of money

The large size cards I find people keep them the pin them up on there boards at home .

The best and free advert is your work, give each customer a stack of them after doing your job and they will do all the advertising for you for Free, they will give all the cards to there friends and the recommendations as well this has been 99% of all my advertising you don't need to pay for it advertising

When I very first started up I did a card drop and pined a few in garden centers and at my local shops for free this worked really well . every local shop and café ,fish & chip shop ,your local pub , every place you go to reg most of them will display your cards for free .any clubs and stuff you go to the same applies your local school your kids go to and so on .every person you come into contact with most of them will have a garden with the possibility of trees in them a golden opp . allways carry a stack of cards with you , trust me it works .

Hope this helps :thumbup: