What's better work/money? Tree surgery, firewood, forestry?

Lukey boy1

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A firewood guy dreams of felling, a feller dreams of climbing and the climber gets the hot chick😃

Your wrong there m8 is me that gets the hot chick you climbers might spark the initial interest but whilst your swinging arround the tree like a monkey I explain that the reason you climb is to keep you away from the general population due to a hideous facial disfigurement or a severe personality disorder by the time you're down from the tree im in there and you're left with the sister with a weird growth in her face :-P

mechanized forestry in my opinion is easier than climbing, i do both. The money is better in my experience in forestry and there is a bit more security in my opinion as the jobs in forestry can last years. We just finished a long term contract in Theford that lasted for 2 years. There is also a shortage of decent drivers about.

Your wrong there m8 is me that gets the hot chick you climbers might spark the initial interest but whilst your swinging arround the tree like a monkey I explain that the reason you climb is to keep you away from the general population due to a hideous facial disfigurement or a severe personality disorder by the time you're down from the tree im in there and you're left with the sister with a weird growth in her face :-P

Sure you do......

image.jpg.d1030e099bfd05cfecce9c898a095f6e.jpg

Arb work is by far the best money wise, that said if you have the balls to buy the big kit I am sure that some of the harvester contractors make decent money.

Firewood will pay big time in the south of england where prices seem to be £100/cube +. elsewhere not so profitable.

You mean south east, sure as hell aint south west!

A firewood guy dreams of felling, a feller dreams of climbing and the climber gets the hot chick😃

NEVER dream of climbing!

Making money is about running a good business, there are plenty in all three trades making good money and plenty making nowt.

That's about the long and short of it. Grant funding makes a very uneven playing field though imo.

I was in your situation when I was in college, when I left I got a job in tree surgery to gain some experience in the job, experience and learning curves and learning from the experienced is very important in any sector of the tree industry! After doing quite a bit of climbing and site clearance I figured I didnt enjoy climbing but loved loved cutting. I then got in touch with my local forestry contractors and I am now working full time as a self employed cutter for them and love my job! As for firewood its just beer money for me at the moment :). So if I was you I would go out get some experience discover which type of work suites you then put your money into a business you will enjoy running. there's nothing worse than hating what you are doing and not wanting to get up in the morning. Thats my opinion any way. Cheers Jim

Yeah, and the hot chick ends up. Selling firewood! Seriously (that was a joke!)- I love to do all of it, cutting, tree work, and firewood, ( Especially when weather too bad to make money any other way, I can sit in my truck and deliver logs), you enjoy it all the more when you don't do the same thing all the time....