Transit crew cab problem

Arborlord

so how easy would it be to re classify a 7.5 ton lorry down to 5.5 tons , the reason im asking is because i am thinking about getting a 7.5 ton daf and shortening the body , i feel that the extera grunt under the bonnet so to speak would be really usefull towing the chiper especially on these old cornish roads !!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is i have been offered one with ally body told weighs under 2 tonne or there abouts.

I aint a fan of crewcabs but ill leaning to the darkside. Any one got pros and cons compared to normal size tipper.

Would appreciate helpful advice.:confused1:

would go with a crew cut anyday more than enough room for all your gear and a extra body if needed. and if you take a look at some crewys some still have the 10ft back on them myne has shes a biggggg girl when i run the trailor around on the back with the stump grinder , im as long as a bus.

Can u get a decent amount of chip on and how would you know you have overloaded the front axles.

I know happy springs or just above level for the rear.:confused1:

when the springs are unhappy your loaded & not until :001_tongue:best way to check your pay load if your that botherd, fit the chip box get all your kit & staff in & go to a weigh bridge :scared1: but be warned !!!!!

so how easy would it be to re classify a 7.5 ton lorry down to 5.5 tons , the reason im asking is because i am thinking about getting a 7.5 ton daf and shortening the body , i feel that the extera grunt under the bonnet so to speak would be really usefull towing the chiper especially on these old cornish roads !!!

Not really a very good idea as a 7.5 Daf tipper weights aprox 4.83 tonne empty!! giving you a load capacity of 0.67 tonnes:scared1:

As I've said on here before, 1.25T capacity. But subtract groundies, dog, saws, climbing/lowering kit etc.

Not the ideal vehicle for anyone who wants to stay legal.

But what is?

I run a landrover 110 tipper 3500kg gross empty weighs 2200kg add driver and passenger 2400kg leaving me a good 1100kg for a load of chip. I tow a 12 x 6 3500kg trailer to carry tracked chipper and all other gear and still room and capacity for 1000kg logs before I am upto the 7000kg GTW. The tipping body is balanced ie same length of body each side of rear wheel, this helps with axle limits!

Not really a very good idea as a 7.5 Daf tipper weights aprox 4.83 tonne empty!! giving you a load capacity of 0.67 tonnes:scared1:

hmmm a verry good point , i just really dont wanna go down thr route of having to try and get an opperators liscence i have been warned off it by every one i have spoken too

:scared1:

hmmm a verry good point , i just really dont wanna go down thr route of having to try and get an opperators liscence i have been warned off it by every one i have spoken too

:scared1:

We have one, if you have a yard with good road access, getting an o license is no problem, in fact far cheaper than the fine of an overloaded Transit:001_cool:At the moment good 7.5 tonne trucks can be brought very cheaply and dont cost much more to run than a Transit.

We have one, if you have a yard with good road access, getting an o license is no problem, in fact far cheaper than the fine of an overloaded Transit:001_cool:At the moment good 7.5 tonne trucks can be brought very cheaply and dont cost much more to run than a Transit.

very true the thing with lorrys like my 6,5 tone vario is they are built better and have bigger engines so your not killing it day in day out.