A new idea for the top-handled saw monopoly - Tell me your thoughts!

Timmy

yes battery r/c helis have excellent performance from the battery but a hard landing / crash, the battery should be scrapped as the li-po batteries used are extremely dangerous and do no not like hard knocks which is exactly what it would get in a tree and rattling around in the back of a truck.

The cost of li-ion batteries is signifantly less than lipo too and have a longer lifetime.

The motors used on current cordless offerings range from cheap crap brushed to relatively high end brushless induction.

If you happen to have about £1million (minimum) kicking around to research, develop, test, pass legislation, market and manufacture go for it!! 👍

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't even imagine hoe tough it would be to get something like this past safty checks.

How could you make them safe if they are to be put together at home?

I like the idea just think it's near impossible to get past the regulations :thumbdown:

Got to agree, CE stamp, very tough.

Edited by Bren.

spudulike has loads of good points.

As a company who has started out down this road with our Chainsaw sawhorse. You need to be thinking of spending loads and loads of money, blood, sweat and tears!

Our system just has recycled car battery cups, I hate to think what a electric chainsaw is to get off the drawing board and into the shops!

That said if the market is there go for it! But be prepared for the ups and downs. It is brilliant to get your design working and have people use it. To win awards and to sell them. To have people genuinely like your creation.

If you think it's a worldwide project get a patent on it as soon as you can. Also DO NOT show it to anyone except the patent office. Register the design with the office and then start to show it to people. You cannot do it the other way round. Once it's in the public domain you cannot get design rights.

Good luck though and I look forward to seeing the saw in a couple of years!

Good points. Just some additional ones to also consider. Although the OP may have a great new mouse trap the bottom line is how much money is available to invest based on many considerations. Funding is going to be very challenging unless the OP is self funding this entire venture.

Securing a Patent say for the UK much less any other country will not guarantee any degree of security real or otherwise.

If the OP decided to secure patents covering multiple countries one must understand the cost and responsibility. Just because someone or company has a patent does not protect the owner of said Patent. That protection comes later if someone or another company violates said patent and a Judge or Jury decides in favor of the plaintive or defendant. The cost to go to court and defend your IT property rights are the defendants. If the defendant prevails the plaintive may have to pay damages and cost, however he or she may also appeal. This becomes really expensive, unless the OP has pockets like 10 miles deep they really need to understand the risk associated with such a venture.

I would not recommend showing the product to anyone even after the Patent pending period has taken place unless a good strong business plan is in place going forward to market and sell your product.

Depending on weather the OP has a Design Patent which would have only One claim or a Utility Patent which has many claims and generally more difficult to copy or create from scratch may also determine how and when to enter the market place. I do know that if an existing product can be improved upon in such a way that was not known or though of in the first place a different patent can be issued in lieu of an improvement, At least that is the way the USPTO works here stateside.

Best regards

easy-lift guy

yes battery r/c helis have excellent performance from the battery but a hard landing / crash, the battery should be scrapped as the li-po batteries used are extremely dangerous and do no not like hard knocks which is exactly what it would get in a tree and rattling around in the back of a truck.

The cost of li-ion batteries is signifantly less than lipo too and have a longer lifetime.

The motors used on current cordless offerings range from cheap crap brushed to relatively high end brushless induction.

If you happen to have about £1million (minimum) kicking around to research, develop, test, pass legislation, market and manufacture go for it!!

And patent . That cost can be added on . Oh sorry . Already covered that .

Edited by Stubby

Relatively tough, received my CE stamp sometime ago. No issues:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy

I don't want to demean your product here, but it doesn't have any parts on it that are spinning at 20m/s, as long as it's strong enough, it's good enough.

Or I could (and probably am) wrong.

Cool, well plenty of food for thought there! I think I will start the process of building a prototype to do some testing, see how it goes and make a decision from there.

I certainly don't have deep pockets so patenting/CE etc is all going to be difficult were I to try and do it independently.

I don't want to demean your product here, but it doesn't have any parts on it that are spinning at 20m/s, as long as it's strong enough, it's good enough.

Or I could (and probably am) wrong.

No sweat Bren. I believe your point. I guess my point was that out of everything I had to do to introduce my product to the UK the securing of the CE mark was the least involved aspect overall.

easy-lift guy