Can excessive pruning cause branch loss?

PennyACanterbury

Question

We have what I understand to be a Gold Crest in our North East facing garden. It is a mature tree, taller than the house. It is on the boundary of our garden and our neighbours removed all overhanging branches right up to but not including the crown. Since then the corresponding branches on our side of the fence have all fallen off. Is it possible that the tree is 'balancing' itself out due to the excessive pruning or is the loss of multiple branches more likely to be due to disease? There are no obvious signs of disease and foliage on fallen branches is green. I can upload photos another time if needed I am just keen for any thoughts sooner rather than later in case I should take urgent action. Many thanks for any advice!

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Never heard of a gold crest tree sorry!

Is it a conifer? If so the lower branches can die naturally as the tree grows. Removing them on one side only normally doesn't make the branches on the other side die. Look at all the one sided trees near power lines! TBH this is guess work as we need pictures to see what is happening

Thanks will heal

Never heard of a gold crest tree sorry!

Is it a conifer? If so the lower branches can die naturally as the tree grows. Removing them on one side only normally doesn't make the branches on the other side die. Look at all the one sided trees near power lines! TBH this is guess work as we need pictures to see what is happening

Thanks will heal

I think he's talking about a macrocarpa

I have no experience with 'Gold Crest', but Macrocarpa trees are very prone to shedding limbs, especially when a gap is created in the crown - they tend to self destruct. However looking at photos on Google a gold crest doesn't look like your average Monterey Cypress.

Thank you everyone, very helpful. My husband took pictures this morning so as soon as I can get them I will upload. Snapping due wind exposure sounds very likely as I now know each fallen branch has cracked right through the middle and the centre of the tree is now exposed to North winds Andy e ranches often fall after a particularly wet and windy day/night. If this is the case, any idea of what, if any, action we should take? Thank you!

image.jpg.8d9224709e27367f3a4f562211522d6c.jpg[/attach]
thank you everyone, very helpful. My husband took pictures this morning so as soon as i can get them i will upload. Snapping due wind exposure sounds very likely as i now know each fallen branch has cracked right through the middle and the centre of the tree is now exposed to north winds andy e ranches often fall after a particularly wet and windy day/night. If this is the case, any idea of what, if any, action we should take? Thank you!