PL Insurance for climbing in Norway

Harry89

Greetings all,

I have been offered a months trial working in Oslo. I was told I have to provide PL insurance as well as health insurance so have just started getting quotes.

Trust told me they would cover me for one or two months working there but if I wanted any longer then I would have to arrange cover with a Norwegian firm.

I'm waiting to hear back from Arborisk who have to ask their underwriters about longer term cover, should my trial lead to more work.

I have tried to research this but there is not loads of information on the net so I wanted to know if anyone out there has experience of working in Norway and could advise me on PL insurance and anything else I may need to know.

Thanks

Harry

Just a quick one what do you mean by PL insurance, do you mean public liability , if this is the case a would want to know more about the terms of your work package ie health plan, holiday pay sick pay because you should get most of it if you are going on the books

Yes public liability. As far as I know the work package is that I'm employed as a self employed subcontactor. Kind of assumed it was the same deal as here in the UK.

Not on the books so no sick pay/holiday pay.

Like I said there's not much information available on the net so kind of going in blind but if its no good I'll hop on a plane.

I think you find you can not be self employed in Norway like your are in England is a bit different but I am not a 100% on that mike on here would know more, I lived in Norway for 4 year but had a job on the books so it's different, and you also need a visa to work in the country, because it's not an EU country, but my job sorted all this out for me. I may be very wrong in what I said so don't go on what I said try nav for more information, who is it you are going to work for. Best of luck and learn the language as it helps .

Visa? Are you sure?

Norway is a member of the EEC, my missus is a Noggy. If you needed a visa then she would also need one to work in the UK.

Also, as a Self Employed climber in the UK you are covered by the company you are working for's PL insurance as they are the principal contractor.

like i said i may be wrong when i lived there i had a sponsor for my visa to live there and work one more year and i would have been in title to a citizenship. British citizens need not apply for a residence permit, but must register themselves on arrival if they are planning to reside in Norway. If you have received a firm offer of employment in Norway, you need to apply for a personal number at the local police station or via one of the service centres for foreign workers located in Oslo, Stavanger and Kirkenes.

British Nationals are free to enter Norway for up to 6 months to look for work or set up a business. If you do not manage to establish yourself within the 6 month period, but are still financially stable, you may be able to remain in Norway.

Norwegian personal numbers are issued by the local people register (Folkeregister) and must be applied for after receiving your residence permit from the police. You will also need this personal number to be able to open a bank account in Norway. For more information please see the website of the Norwegian Directorate of immigration.

Your residence in Norway must be lawful and in order to become a member of Norwegian National Insurance, you must intend to stay here for more than 12 months. If you have a strong tie to the country and will be here between 3 and 12 months, you can apply for voluntary membership.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

The firm is called Ekorn Trepleie AS.

I have got a decent sounding PL quote that will cover me for the season should the month go well.

Need to get it for working in the UK anyway so not the end of the world if I'm already covered by the principal contractor's PL insurance.

Very useful to know about the personal number, I'll make sure I get onto that when I get over there so thanks Rob.

It's an English guy who runs the firm so hopefully he will be able to help me out with legalities but as he requested I have my own PL I thought I should get it sorted.