Large oak board

Lm20

Hi there, I've just purchased myself a English oak board 2" thick 19-20" wide and around 14ft long its been aired dried for around 5 years and was at the bottom of the stack but had got a little wet as water has run off the tin onto it in places, my question is can I start working on it now as I want to make myself a tv table with it that with live indoors, it's a straight edge.

Thanks

Hi again I have a similar board and cut the last 4/5ft off to use as a table top for an old sewing machine treadle base even though I put some cuts on the underside it has moved quite a bit but only after I cut ,sanded etc I had it just in my workshop for a good while before I did anything with it ,I have had it happen a few times nice flat boards and then make something and then it warps ,hope yours does not post some pics

Cheers Mark

Hi it cost me £100 but I used to work for the chap I got it off, I haven't picked it up yet but can take a picture when I do would you not recommend working on it straight away I want to make a tv table/ rectangular box.

Hi it cost me £100 but I used to work for the chap I got it off, I haven't picked it up yet but can take a picture when I do would you not recommend working on it straight away I want to make a tv table/ rectangular box.

That's about spot on price wise, possibly a touch cheap. Sounds like a nice board.

Bring it into the house and allow it to acclimatise for a month or so before working on it.

Mark I wonder if when you come to work the board that was perfectly flat in your workshop you take more off one face than the other. This changes the stresses in the board and it warps, and on wide boards this can mean a 3/4" hollow or crown. However dry a piece of timber is every time you make it smaller (by planing or cutting it into smaller components) it loses a bit more moisture and it changes shape. When I make furniture I always rough cut the components oversize and stack it to dry more, and then after a couple of weeks plane to the final size. I think for boards 20" wide I would be drying them in the house before I worked them (after gentler drying in the workshop of course).

Hi Big J what do you think about the point I made about a board being flat and stable stacked in my workshop and only when I take some off it and make a coffee table will the board move whats going on with that

Cheers Mark

i think you answered your own question. the workshop is obviously not the same humidity as your home...

i've just turned some field maple i've had for a year and i know is two years dry+ but at various stages in turning i leave it in the house to make sure it's as dry as can be...

That's about spot on price wise, possibly a touch cheap. Sounds like a nice board.

Bring it into the house and allow it to acclimatise for a month or so before working on it.

Hi pal thanks for your help its a real nice piece I've not made anything before so any tips you have would be good, like sanding finish product with a wax... It has some great silver grain on it.