Ruptured UCL in my thumb.

pault

So as the title suggests, i am just back from the hospital and it turns out iv completely ruptured my Ulnar Collateral Ligament in my thumb which requires surgery. :thumbdown: At the moment i can hardly pick my phone never mind a saw! Im having the surgery next week some time.

Im just wondering if anybody else has had this injury and how long was the recovery period? How long was it before you could climb again/pick up a saw etc?

Also im no stranger to operations and general anesthetic but was wondering if the surgery was done under general anesthetic or local.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance

First I would ask your GP or Surgeon office for info.

After a hernia a couple of years back I found rehab and exercise info hard to come by as the NHS are so busy and cost conscious that often you are not interviewed later to get rehab advice.

As on old sportsman keen to get back exercising I asked about on sports forums and the best advice I received was to visit a sports therapist.It cost £30 but was great. They will be sympathetic to someone keen to get back exercising and will suggest exercises/advice to rehab quickly.They are not on the GP treadmill of patients and will have come across the injury before.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so had my surgery yesterday to re-attach my ligament . Painful and itchy doesnt even cover it. What kills me most is that such a simple operation is going to result in 6-8 weeks in a cast and over a month of physio to get strength and movement back again. After all the UCL is the ligament that allows you to pick things up and grip. GUTTED!!!!

IMAG0004.jpg.c12cd685f0cafd98ec5ffe8de1348ba3.jpg