Another Hilux thread

Shipwrecked Bones

I've been looking for a truck, looking to spend around £5000. I've seen a few decent 2007 Rangers, 2006 Navaras at around 100k miles for this price, but any comparable age/mileage Hilux always seems to be at least two grand more, mostly £3000. :confused1:

So, on to my questions:

• Are Hiluxs actually worth the extra money?
  • Is a used Hilux less likely to cost me at MOTs/services than a Ranger of the same age?
  • Would stretching to the extra £2-3k be more beneficial in the long run, re. depreciation, running costs, repair costs?

Thanks in advance,

J :thumbup:

Edited by Shipwrecked Bones

Ive had a hilux in various mk,s since 1990 and wouldn't touch anything else. In my opinion they are worth the extra money as they keep their selling value, as you,ve found out. £5k should get you a very decent mk4 and a half decent mk5

I have a battered 55 plate single cab with 130k on the clock parked outside my place most days. Car dealers driving transits and show pony hilux's constantly stop an pester anyone whos in the house as to wether its for sale, its utterly battered and the dings on the rear body technically write it off. got one " dealer " upto £3500 cash which he funnily enough had on him!! just for fun to then told him to piss off. My point, would they be offering that or stopping at all if it was a ranger / isuzu / l200 ? No they wouldn't.

Only bad thing with hilux is legal towing capacity, mine pulls triple axled stock box with fifty 60 kg ewes no problem but is it legal, absolutely not.

Buy a Hilux, you wont regret it

hilux.jpg.5d92ffd936fa03ed7302fe781746e6e4.jpg

Edited by Tommywommy

The way I looked at it was if I was looking at two vehicles the same in condition miles and year.

The better specked l200 was £300

The hilux was £2000 I would not hesitate to buy the hilux. I just found them incredibly reliable and durable even when you have abused and knackered them they still start on the button in a -10 frost

I think it depends what you want the truck for, if your looking for an ultra reliable work horse that you can depend on: hilux all the way. I take mine up to 350,000 miles and in their life they will probably need a set of batteries,a rear wheel bearing and maybe a radiator ,oh yeah and countless fog light switches. And that's if your unlucky.

I've had a Mitsubishi and a Nissan over the years, now on my first Hilux, and they feel as if they are cut from granite!

I'm sure it's down to brand loyalty, but from my experience, the extra money is worth it, a slightly older Hilux will still out live a new alternative...well, that's my thoughts for what they are worth.

I've had a Mitsubishi and a Nissan over the years, now on my first Hilux, and they feel as if they are cut from granite!

I'm sure it's down to brand loyalty, but from my experience, the extra money is worth it, a slightly older Hilux will still out live a new alternative...well, that's my thoughts for what they are worth.

Just found a 55 plate Hilux for just over £6000, done 157k miles. Sound like something I should go for?

Thanks everyone so far for solid advice :)