Brand new website

Will Heal

Hi all,

Need some advice on getting a website. I'm planning on starting up on my own again within the next 12 months, and I want to get a website and a little bit of advertising up and up and running before I make the move.

I admit I don't know anything about websites so lots of questions.

How much does it cost to have someone make one from scratch?

Could I do it myself with no experience or would it be crap.

Is it worth spending a lot of money on a site? Does it bring the work in?

Does it cost more to get your results near the top of a google search.

I know these are simple questions but thanks anyway

Have a look at Wix (google it). They have got excellent templates that you can use - add your own text, logo and pics and away you go.

Just watched the video on there home page, looks easy, too easy wonder how long an it moron like me would take to do it?

Wix are easy to use, but you will end up with their logo on your page (the company works by them advertising on your page).

Most hosting sites now offer a site building add on, most will be using a system called wordpress. These are very easy to use and again will have a list of templates and you just select the one you want and then add the content. Its more difficult to get around the jargon that most companies use.

The plus side of doing the site yourself is the cost, expect to pay around £500 for a basic site but don't be surprised if companies offer £1,000 + to do a site. The site you produce will be as good as your ability to write decent content, taking photos etc. If you have blurred photos or miss sized ones then that is how they will look on your site. If you have difficulty writing content that jumps out to clients or find it hard to get your point across, then again you will have to think about how to work that.

Going with a company that will build a site can be useful as you will usually get a more glossy site, they should have someone who can write good content and will have stock photos. Although you will pay for the service they are useful and will take the hassle out of producing the site.

Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is what gets your site to the top of the organic list. This works off the content that it set within the website and also links, tags etc. Again a good company will write content for the searches (there are site on line that show what people are searching for and the words they use).

Do web sites bring in work? depends, people will google local tree surgeons and see what is out there. But a good client base will always win. Having a web site gives you that shop front all businesses need. For example, you probably know of good local companies near you that you use or a friend has recommended. What do you do? most will google the company and see what they offer and what they are like.

Google ads also offer a premium service where you can pay per click, the more you pay the higher you get. Its good to get your name at the top, but a lot of marketing people now say that around 80% of searches will result in people looking at organic names in the first page or two. This is ideally where you want to be.

My site is home built, although not perfect its useful. I am looking this year at costs to produce a proper site.

Apex Environmental Ltd | Contact Us on: 0121 249 1235; 07968 442929 or [email protected]