The end of firewood?

Joy Yeomans

This will seem a very simpleton question to ask but does any one know where one can get historical weather data for ones local area. I am interested to know how much temps have been above average this winter,compared to the last ten years ,the number of winters I have been supplying firewood . This season the worst so far. Cheers and a Healthy ,Safe and Prosperous(as long as you dont rely on log sales) 2015.:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Have a look at Energy management A to Z where you can get heating degree data - that should do the trick.

I looked at the heating degree data for the past 5 winters and compared it to our gas use and there was a strong correlation. Then in our first winter with the woodburner gas use (taking account the warmer winter) would appear to have dropped by 20%.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve where your situated I know for a fact you can get cord for £40 on hardwood and 29 for soft. So the average is around the cost you want. We're buying in that area and getting a load back to Herefordshire so drivers can get home.

Explains why they are giving the logs away around here. We gave up buying cord in 3 years ago and it was £55 + vat a tonne delivered in. There are lots of people selling logs around here now. I was paying low 20's in 2008

The same way you gained customers in the first place, advertising, word of mouth and selling a quality product.

There not a bonus then are they you need to keep growing doing 100 200. 300 tonne is nice extra money but if your solely in the firewood game you need to be doing over. 800 t to make a viable business.

We're not there yet but this time next year Rodney.

There not a bonus then are they you need to keep growing doing 100 200. 300 tonne is nice extra money but if your solely in the firewood game you need to be doing over. 800 t to make a viable business.

Yes, Derek?

:laugh1::laugh1:

Yep fair point.

Im guessing at over 800t you cant just be looking at just the local market, you would have to start delivering throughout the UK.