The end of firewood?

Joy Yeomans

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anyone who buys in fire wood as their main fuel.

Its always been expensive and messy, compared to gas or coal.

Most people either have wood burners as a lifestyle thing, getting most of their timber free but having to cut and dry themselves or its just for the odd atmospheric evening.

So you think Russia can be "crippled" in a short period???????:001_huh:

Look at the news not the Weston media

They want to get Putin out what better way to do it than turn the people against him with direct or indirect sanctions. They have become use to a Weston lifestyle that's now in rapid decline due to the low value of the rouble.

Yes you could argue they have built up there gold stock but in one of the most corrupt country's do you think that will be used for the people or the people in power.

The worlds a lot more organised than you give it credit for they will do what ever it takes to stop Putin regaining the former Soviet Union and a return to the Cold War.

One of the issues you are not considering is that most peoples heating is gas fired rads, these also require electricity to pump the water round.

Currently 4 or 5 of our 11 power stations are down, suppliers are planning to pay big users NOT to use electricity in periods of peak demand to stave off power cuts.

Over 50% of our Gas is imported, most coming from the Soviet block, this is the same Soviet block that we are applying sanctions to over what is happening in the Crimea. That country does have a history of cutting gas supplies off to countries it has fallen out with so a bit of reverse sanctions would not surprise me.

So over the next few years there is a very good chance of supply interruptions in both gas and electricity. Most of the stove buying public are not silly, yes buying a stove is a bit of a lifestyle choice but when these things are pointed out to them by me or other decent stove seller it cements their need to buy.

Yes its mild, my own log sales are well down on the last 2 years but I don't think its a long term issue. If it does not sell this winter it will next winter. My stove sales are up on last year.

What I am concerned about as a small log supplier is that I can now buy crated kiln dried product of proven top spec for little more than its costing me to buy cord. I need a bigger processor but unless its grant funded I cant see the point, may as well keep a small one for off farm stuff and import the bulk.

I do have a few customers where the stove is the sole source of heat but not many. Against oil the stove pays for itself in 2 or 3 decent winters but against gas there is frankly not a lot of cost saving but there is a significant reduction in carbon emissions, this is something ladies especially care about. But the stove is there as a back up heat source if all else fails.

A

One of the issues you are not considering is that most peoples heating is gas fired rads, these also require electricity to pump the water round.

Currently 4 or 5 of our 11 power stations are down, suppliers are planning to pay big users NOT to use electricity in periods of peak demand to stave off power cuts.

Over 50% of our Gas is imported, most coming from the Soviet block, this is the same Soviet block that we are applying sanctions to over what is happening in the Crimea. That country does have a history of cutting gas supplies off to countries it has fallen out with so a bit of reverse sanctions would not surprise me.

So over the next few years there is a very good chance of supply interruptions in both gas and electricity. Most of the stove buying public are not silly, yes buying a stove is a bit of a lifestyle choice but when these things are pointed out to them by me or other decent stove seller it cements their need to buy.

Yes its mild, my own log sales are well down on the last 2 years but I don't think its a long term issue. If it does not sell this winter it will next winter. My stove sales are up on last year.

What I am concerned about as a small log supplier is that I can now buy crated kiln dried product of proven top spec for little more than its costing me to buy cord. I need a bigger processor but unless its grant funded I cant see the point, may as well keep a small one for off farm stuff and import the bulk.

I do have a few customers where the stove is the sole source of heat but not many. Against oil the stove pays for itself in 2 or 3 decent winters but against gas there is frankly not a lot of cost saving but there is a significant reduction in carbon emissions, this is something ladies especially care about. But the stove is there as a back up heat source if all else fails.

A

log boiler & generator spring to mind :biggrin:

There is also the growing numbers of wood hunters these days too ,i have a friend who has a skip hire and he cannot keep up with filling bulk bags of wood from skips that he saws up and leaves them outside his yard for joe blogs to help themselves .

Has he is not allowed to have any fires on his yard it makes sense and cheaper to get shut this way .

This of course will have a effect on log sales and my local dealer has seen a big increase in Home owner saws ie MS170 for those who going hunting for wood.

There is nowt wrong with the above to me/anyone has it makes sense

with the prices that some log suppliers are charging .

Ste