Giant Coast Redwoods ~ a Must-See ~ 2015

mdvaden

Kiera, the woman seen in my redwood photo with red dress, moved down to San Diego last spring, but she was up near Crescent City for the holiday, and our paths crossed. So we got a few photos ...

This spot is just outside the gate for that road in the previous image, leading into Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park.

HHR_1200.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mario,

I have followed the journey of the Giant Redwoods you have posted over the past few years and having seen and read just about every thread about the opportunity to see some giant trees I am in the process of booking right now. I have 15 days of a fly - drive in October to fill and my current itinerary will take me to see some wonders of California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona. I won't have time to see the giants in north Carolina at the Redwood National Park (600 mile round trip) but I am stopping off in Sequoia National Park. I will post some sightings back on this thread in November on my return. Thanks for the inspiration.

Marco

Mario,

I have followed the journey of the Giant Redwoods you have posted over the past few years and having seen and read just about every thread about the opportunity to see some giant trees I am in the process of booking right now. I have 15 days of a fly - drive in October to fill and my current itinerary will take me to see some wonders of California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona. I won't have time to see the giants in north Carolina at the Redwood National Park (600 mile round trip) but I am stopping off in Sequoia National Park. I will post some sightings back on this thread in November on my return. Thanks for the inspiration.

Marco

The feedback I hear from professional photographers and forest enthusiasts most often, is that the Coast Redwood forest of far Northern California is the more dramatic experience when compared to the Giant Sequoias of the Sierra Nevada. Although both are really awesome. Few folks seem to squeeze both into the same trip.

Below is the Dyerville Giant ... which used to be one of the tallest known redwoods.

Dyer2_Women12mdv.jpg

The photo I put in the OP doesn't seem to load after I adjusted captions, etc., in the source album ... so here is a repeat of the Coast Redwood that appeared in post #1 ...

BTW ... the trunk partially covered with needles, extends to the far left bottom corner of the image.

Redwood_Giant_sample.jpg

Edited by mdvaden
  • Like 1

Does Coast Redwood have any value in the UK or any use other than firewood?

Here in Oregon and California redwood is commonly milled and used for outdoor decking and framing and in places that are wet and were wood eating bugs are. The high tannins in the wood are a preservative and more or less a bug deterrent. The deck at my house in California was made of redwood, and was riddled with termites when I sold that place. I lived in a house in central California that was made entirely of redwood, which was a common building material 100 years ago there.