Giant Coast Redwoods ~ a Must-See ~ 2015

mdvaden

A new Coast Redwood thread for 2015 ... Redwood National and State Parks are a world heritage site, and probably easier to visit more days each year than the Giant Sequoias which get some snow and heavier crowds. This is where I will post new redwood photos in 2015, but will start the topic with a few favorites from 2014. Arbtalk user Taupotreeman started a redwood thread some time ago, with has lots of photos from 2014 going back (Visiting the Coast Redwoods Thread by Taupotreeman on Arbtalk

The following is the photo for which I just ordered a 20 inch x 30 inch canvas print. The largest single trunk we found last year in Redwood National and State Parks.

Jug_Mario_1200mdv.jpg

That is a beast, which park was that one in?

Still haven't got round to loading up any from my trip in 2014.

Do you want to keep this thread just for your (great) pictures or is it open for all?

Everyone's Coast Redwood images :001_smile:

In fact, I even enjoy some occasional urban Coast Redwood photos from time to time.

Yep thats big, what is the diameter.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Arbtalk mobile app

We're doing something different with most of the new discoveries, and not listing the specific park, but just Redwood National and State Parks.

For the diameter and height, all that's been put out there so far is that its over 20 ft. diameter dbh and over 300 ft. tall. Considering that its not a twin or fused trunk, but a single, the photo connotes the diameter, considering I am 6 ft. & 4 in. tall and over 200 libs. next to it ... a little dwarf.

Edited by mdvaden

I'm not sure what it costs to fly from the UK to the USA, but if time-off from work can be left out of the equation, once over here, I think someone can do a 5 day vacation in the Coast redwoods on a budget, within 800 pounds / 1300 dollars ... Hope more of you folks get to see these trees. I'd like to see the Baobab myself, and Australia's Eucalyptus forest. And Australia will be the more likely destination if I get around to it someday.

Some winter days are slammed with rain, but this was New Years Day, a year ago, two days out.

About 10 minutes from Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, by Crescent City.

Naboo_Sunset_1200.jpg

Edited by mdvaden
  • Like 1

I'd agree with Mario. Give yourself plenty of time in the area as there is heaps to do and explore. We spent the days in the forests and the evenings exploring the coast. Some beautiful little towns around if you stretch your legs a little, accommodation is good and cheap, plenty of eateries and the Redwoods are truly as spectacular as you think. Unfortunately I won't be back next year as I have decided to go to Yosemite, Kings and Sequoia as part of a road trip but I'll be back at some stage to do the Seattle-San Francisco Coast trip again, concentrating on the Redwoods mainly.

Keep posting the fantastic photos Mario.