Giant Coast Redwoods ~ a Must-See ~ 2015

mdvaden

• 2 weeks later...

One of the more interesting stumps in Humboldt Redwoods State Park. The small trunks should be from the root system and the small  little things in front are also living. So the stump may be mostly dead, but not completely as part regenerates life.

Stump_1200.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The "Nitro Express" crucifies the description that coast redwoods taper but giant sequoia do not. In reality, both species do and don't. This is a coast redwood.

nitro_clrk_frks_14mdv.jpg

Edited by mdvaden
  • Like 2

One of the more interesting stumps in Humboldt Redwoods State Park. The small trunks should be from the root system and the small  little things in front are also living. So the stump may be mostly dead, but not completely as part regenerates life.
Stump_1200.thumb.jpg.64e2cfb19a3d715e66b5ce2e3e02efc0.jpg
I'm reading a book Hidden Life of Trees and the author describes remnants of a beech stump being kept alive for hundreds of years, fed via the root connections - there are no leaves on the stump so it must be fed by the other trees. Interesting to see a similar situation here.

17 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:
On 28/05/2018 at 20:55, mdvaden said:
Stump_1200.thumb.jpg.64e2cfb19a3d715e66b5ce2e3e02efc0.jpg

I'm reading a book Hidden Life of Trees and the author describes remnants of a beech stump being kept alive for hundreds of years, fed via the root connections - there are no leaves on the stump so it must be fed by the other trees. Interesting to see a similar situation here.

Odds are many of us have been near these. I learned by experience in my twenties on my mother's property. She surrounded her upper acre with Douglas fir, and we thinned out a few cutting the stumps to an inch or two. In the next ten to twenty years, we watched them start growing over with tissue.  I saw Douglas fir do the same near a parking above Redwood National Park. It's attached. The stumps that lived at my mother's  were father apart. I've seen several while doing l work at other properties. 

StumpGrow.jpg

Edited by mdvaden
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Had a chance to see the new deck built around Stout Tree. Certain factors within the grove connote the deck may be wasted money that could have been used to improve matters for a half dozen other trees. I posted feedback in a video:

VIDEO LINK > https://youtu.be/DAObORSAotA

Stout_Grove_Deck_mdv.jpg

Edited by mdvaden