Sanderson 6-22 telehandler

csservices

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have sorted it now, turns out the lever next to the seat which I assumed was for the pickup hitch release as it looks same as pickup hitch release lever on an older tractor is actually the 4wd/2wd selector and was'nt actuallt in either! Have also found out the two small rams at the back of the mast have been disconnected at sometime, I assume due to a burst pipe as it seems to be missing one and the remaining one has been capped.

Have sorted it now, turns out the lever next to the seat which I assumed was for the pickup hitch release as it looks same as pickup hitch release lever on an older tractor is actually the 4wd/2wd selector and was'nt actuallt in either! Have also found out the two small rams at the back of the mast have been disconnected at sometime, I assume due to a burst pipe as it seems to be missing one and the remaining one has been capped.

Thought that could be problem. Similarly I used to go to a market garden/nursery when they moved to a more modern tractor with starter interlocks; I more than once had to go to a tractor which wouldn't start with no reason to find that the rear of the cab behind the seat was stacked with coats and bags the result being the P.T.O. lever getting knocked into drive unnoticed and then when it came for the workgang to move on the tractor wouldn't start because starter was locked out. It was a most orderly place; the nominated tractor drivers had to have a whole day training course at the college and they had to fill in a most comprehensive daily vehicle checklist (tick all the boxes).

However on the Sanderson; the small rams at the rear of the mast compensate the forecarriage ; so the "bucket" or whatever attachment stays level (or tilted to about the same angle) as the mast goes up and down. The most likely reason for them to be disconnected is that they leak internally so the "bucket" continuously tends to droop on the crowd ram needing constant correction; which can be incredibly irritating (and very dangerous!).

To reseal the rams isn't that hard but the pistons are solid (don't split) to get the new seals on; we had I presume supplied by Sanderson some machined nylon-like rings (tapered one side to slip the seals up, with a thin skirt the other side to clear the piston diameter and guide the new seal over the piston ring grooves into their place; seals heated in kettleful of boiling water to soften) which were for fitting the seals, without which I think would make the job difficult without damaging the seals. Happy days; of course then you may have found that they also leak on the piston rod seals so then you have to get the piston off the rod to change them as well usually fixed to not come off; so they wont but occasionally have unscrewed themselves partly and only hanging on. However not all hydraulic rams can be serviced without special equipment in the "field" at all; which we often did including the big "main mast" lifting ram.

is the 725, a better machine ??,with the perkins engine & solo controls ??

725 is a bigger machine than a 622 and 625.

Servicing the Perkins engine can be difficult as I remember there was one Sanderson model so fitted where it wasn't possible to get the rocker cover off at all; the machine chassis was designed with a Ford motor. Perkins tend not to wear valve stems like Fords do, they just never got checked obviously.

Solo Controls nice to use; joystick not repairable though. A disposable item which costs a grand?. I saw a machine which some one did a tidy conversion to an external traditional hydraulic lever block when the whole "hydraulic" lot went wrong.

The later models tl6/7 were much same except with plastic and fibreglass panels which smash up real easy too. That's progress for you.

I quite liked the articulated 525 model; I know of a couple of them still going strong.

725 is a bigger machine than a 622 and 625.

Servicing the Perkins engine can be difficult as I remember there was one Sanderson model so fitted where it wasn't possible to get the rocker cover off at all; the machine chassis was designed with a Ford motor. Perkins tend not to wear valve stems like Fords do, they just never got checked obviously.

Solo Controls nice to use; joystick not repairable though. A disposable item which costs a grand?. I saw a machine which some one did a tidy conversion to an external traditional hydraulic lever block when the whole "hydraulic" lot went wrong.

The later models tl6/7 were much same except with plastic and fibreglass panels which smash up real easy too. That's progress for you.

I quite liked the articulated 525 model; I know of a couple of them still going strong.

any more info on the 525,

any more info on the 525,

Don't see many of them about weren't popular. Never much trouble really. Fuel gauge always a problem. My mate has one and he is no fool; he used to work same place as me. The similar Matbro machine of similar era is also well thought of. I have never considered what happens now as far as parts back up is now these machine are good age.

Don't see many of them about weren't popular. Never much trouble really. Fuel gauge always a problem. My mate has one and he is no fool; he used to work same place as me. The similar Matbro machine of similar era is also well thought of. I have never considered what happens now as far as parts back up is now these machine are good age.

will they have the perkins engine in, a take there rated @ 2.5t lift ,just looking @ 1, so any info would be good

will they have the perkins engine in, a take there rated @ 2.5t lift ,just looking @ 1, so any info would be good

Not sure about engine options after 17 or more years. Nothing wrong with the Ford but I think 525's were Perkins; will have to have a look at my mates example when I'm there again. Artic. loader is good for forks type work or "craneage" as steering acts like carriage sideshift. Might not be so handy in tight yards as 4 wheel steer. I wouldn't say any telescopic of the types discussed would last in woods environment for long.