Sanderson 6-22 telehandler

csservices

Evening all recently purchased the above and used it in anger for the first time today and got it stuck! it seems to be sending all the power to one front wheel and none to the other three although when you first start off it feels like it rocks on all 4 then just sends the power to the one, any ideas?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening all recently purchased the above and used it in anger for the first time today and got it stuck! it seems to be sending all the power to one front wheel and none to the other three although when you first start off it feels like it rocks on all 4 then just sends the power to the one, any ideas?

Sounds like it's 2 or 4wd with no difflocks, what are the axles from? Many rough terrain loaders were based on standard agricultural tractor parts and the difflock may be present in the axle but not selectable.

did wonder that it is 4wd as theres props to both axles but wondered if its selectable as it has been rewired at some point but seems to be quite a few wires that were not reconnected, more annoying is that I went up and down the same slope in the bobcat on bald tyres so I could finish what I was trying to do with the telehandler :sneaky2:, not sure what the axles are from they have sanderson on the hubs, but it is ford engined and I know alot of the older handlers were tractor based, will have to have a crawl under it when I can get it back on the yard.

Sanderson were based on ford skid units and by modern standards are quite basic, not sure on the tele handler's as we have an sb50 rough terrain forklift but that has a diff lock on a foot pedal.

The sanderson handler's were not as good as the forklifts and better machines soon took over.

Edit: the 622 is a later machine and is almost certainly 4x4. It will be on a shuttle box so check all fluids on the drive side first.

Edited by Ian C

I used to work on Sandersons in the 90's.

The 622's were an early model of true telescopic handler with 4wd, equal wheels and 4 wheel steer; not based on a skid unit.

The shuttle box isn't likely to be the problem if it is driving to one wheel.

This shuttle box was common to a wide variety of machines including Case 580 diggers and also popular in canal barges. I rebuilt several of the shuttle boxes and kept a selection of the parts necessary in hand and only recently gave this lot away as I haven't done one foo so long.

The transfer/dropbox rarely gave a problem but I am not sure if they had a 2 and 4 wheel drive SELECTOR which may be DISCONNECTED OR STUCK. The 2/4wd selector on this model would be rods and levers not solenoid control; if it had it.

The axles tended to be problematic (especially if not maintained well/ repaired when ailing/ heavily worked in tight spaces)are much modified Ford tractor rear transmissions with steering knuckles. A particular pair I worked on were a heavily used in a very tight yard; the steering knuckle bearings needed careful maintenance and were changed regularly as this was preferable to having the bearing pocket welded and remachined. The double universal joint in the half shafts used to suffer and a "service exchange" set of half shafts was kept in stock ready to fit.

It is possible that some problem in one of the epicyclic reduction units has meant some one has left the sun gear out of one rendering one axle driveless. Jack/block the whole machine up and turn the wheels to analyse what is happening, what turns and what doesn't without dismantling anything.

I liked these 6-22's quite easy to work on. One other thing we use to do was; the remote cables which control the loader functions have a weak link which is one end has a component which is zinc die cast stuff and its breakage rendered the whole cable useless. I used to machine up copies of this component in steel on the lathe and mill (although the milling operations weren't anything that couldn't be done with a file and hacksaw) thus saving the cost of a new cable and replacing the whole thing was a pain too.

Like is said the pair which took so much punishment (and gave much trouble) were far too heavily worked in this very tight yard but the work they did was valuable and bigger machines couldn't work in that tight yard; the whole place is a nice housing estate now and the company have a bigger yard to play with proper machines in.

Edited by rustcutter
additional

I used to work on Sandersons in the 90's.

The 622's were an early model of true telescopic handler with 4wd, equal wheels and 4 wheel steer; not based on a skid unit.

The shuttle box isn't likely to be the problem if it is driving to one wheel.

This shuttle box was common to a wide variety of machines including Case 580 diggers and also popular in canal barges. I rebuilt several of the shuttle boxes and kept a selection of the parts necessary in hand and only recently gave this lot away as I haven't done one foo so long.

The transfer/dropbox rarely gave a problem but I am not sure if they had a 2 and 4 wheel drive SELECTOR which may be DISCONNECTED OR STUCK. The 2/4wd selector on this model would be rods and levers not solenoid control; if it had it.

The axles tended to be problematic (especially if not maintained well/ repaired when ailing/ heavily worked in tight spaces)are much modified Ford tractor rear transmissions with steering knuckles. A particular pair I worked on were a heavily used in a very tight yard; the steering knuckle bearings needed careful maintenance and were changed regularly as this was preferable to having the bearing pocket welded and remachined. The double universal joint in the half shafts used to suffer and a "service exchange" set of half shafts was kept in stock ready to fit.

It is possible that some problem in one of the epicyclic reduction units has meant some one has left the sun gear out of one rendering one axle driveless. Jack/block the whole machine up and turn the wheels to analyse what is happening, what turns and what doesn't without dismantling anything.

I liked these 6-22's quite easy to work on. One other thing we use to do was; the remote cables which control the loader functions have a weak link which is one end has a component which is zinc die cast stuff and its breakage rendered the whole cable useless. I used to machine up copies of this component in steel on the lathe and mill (although the milling operations weren't anything that couldn't be done with a file and hacksaw) thus saving the cost of a new cable and replacing the whole thing was a pain too.

Like is said the pair which took so much punishment (and gave much trouble) were far too heavily worked in this very tight yard but the work they did was valuable and bigger machines couldn't work in that tight yard; the whole place is a nice housing estate now and the company have a bigger yard to play with proper machines in.

What we're weak points to the sb forklifts ? Ours is an 81 sb50tc ford 4600 engine and is still a good machine.

Sorry I hardly ever attended a masted Sanderson; however with a Ford Industrial skid unit I cant think of any problems that aren't well known like porous block (guess would have shown by now - keep the anti freeze/inhibitor up to date, change annually) and 4wd axle if its got it will be a pain; in the centre pivot area especially.