Fitting back boiler stove to conventional / regular heating system.🔥

dougharding

Hi all just wondered if any off you have had your heating systems fitted to work with a wood burner aswell.

I have a 30year old house with a conventional heating system ( header tank in loft, copper storage tank in airing cupboard, small boiler in kitchen.)

I had a stovax wood burner installed 3 years ago, but have decided now that I would like to change the stove for a larger one with a back boiler.

I would like to have the stove fitted into the heating system so it heats the water in the tank and radiators in the bedrooms when the fire is lite, but when we are out and no fire lite or up to temp and summer months the heating system trips into the gas boiler to heat the water and house.

With being a Tree Surgion I have a endless supply of firewood, so would hope to reep the cost back with a number of years.

Have any of you guys had this system fitted and if so any ideas were to look and the price range to be looking at.

Thanks Doug

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In theory you can just plumb the boiler into the existing open vented system but its not quite that simple. If the conventional boiler is running your back boiler will act as a radiator, when the back boiler is working the conventional ought to just pump without burning.

I looked into it when I was in the same situation as you, but working with a combi boiler there is a gizmo that makes it all work but it was expensive and looked pretty complicated so I went with the (for me) simple option and fitted the back boiler as a second open vented system. It works well, if the fire is out I can just flick a switch and we are warm until the fire is lit.

Of course someone with 10 hours of "heatas" training will be along shortly to warn of dire consequences, lack of insurance and suchlike:001_rolleyes:

Just ditch the boiler and go all wood.

I've heated our homes with nothing but wood for about 23 years, after we got an unexpected gas bill for £500 because my direct debit was insufficient. We paid that bill off at £14 per week and I have never bought gas since.

Just ditch the boiler and go all wood.

I've heated our homes with nothing but wood for about 23 years, after we got an unexpected gas bill for £500 because my direct debit was insufficient. We paid that bill off at £14 per week and I have never bought gas since.

Got to agree with that, when I fitted the back boiler the gas supplier came to "check" the meter, the bill had dropped to next to nothing and the computer was suspicious that we were fiddling it.:laugh1:

About 5 years ago I got new boiler stove, new oil boiler, accumulator tank and all installed for under 10k. I sourced the stove myself and the plumber didn't fleece me on boiler etc.

I went for accumulator tank as growing up with space heating stoves I always found it was feast or famine - either it's out or house was roasting. The tank lets me keep a store of hot water, the downside is oil boiler isn't a combi. There is adjustable thermostat on tank and once up to temp the pumps kick in automatically and circulate so that doesn't boil over.

I asked a similar question on arbtalk a couple of years ago and was told about the H2 panel. We had the system put in this year and are just getting used to it. we opted for a 12kw electric boiler to work in tandem through the H2 panel with our existing Hunter boiler stove. Seems to work well. While its not too cold we just use the electric for 2 hours a day which is just as well cos it costs a fortune to run but we don't have to worry about thieving gits having the oil away and the plan was always to use our own wood for 80% of our heat with the auto boiler topping up and coming on early in the morning. You can get all the details from Heating Innovations homepage

Cheers

Hi all just wondered if any off you have had your heating systems fitted to work with a wood burner aswell.

I have a 30year old house with a conventional heating system ( header tank in loft, copper storage tank in airing cupboard, small boiler in kitchen.)

I had a stovax wood burner installed 3 years ago, but have decided now that I would like to change the stove for a larger one with a back boiler.

I would like to have the stove fitted into the heating system so it heats the water in the tank and radiators in the bedrooms when the fire is lite, but when we are out and no fire lite or up to temp and summer months the heating system trips into the gas boiler to heat the water and house.

With being a Tree Surgion I have a endless supply of firewood, so would hope to reep the cost back with a number of years.

Have any of you guys had this system fitted and if so any ideas were to look and the price range to be looking at.

Thanks Doug

HI DOUG WE ARE running a stove for our place we do not use GAS AS HEAT only for water as no back boiler all the best get the best stove you can as cheaper ones eat the wood thanks jon