How much should a Foreman earn?

beechwood

Wow that's £44,200-46,800 a year. That's a hell of of a salary for a foreman.

Did you mean self employed or on the books?

Thanks for your input

Regards Neil

£45000 a year PAYE is lunacy for a job that takes about a month to qualify for. That's relatively senior civil engineer money. A sense of perspective is required I think chaps. I think if Beechwood is offering up to £30k a year plus benefits, he should have no problems filling the vacancy. PAYE is a very different kettle of fish to self employed.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£45000 a year PAYE is lunacy for a job that takes about a month to qualify for. That's relatively senior civil engineer money. A sense of perspective is required I think chaps. I think if Beechwood is offering up to £30k a year plus benefits, he should have no problems filling the vacancy. PAYE is a very different kettle of fish to self employed.

That's the point,he can't find anyone with the package he's offering. And with all due respect I doubt he would want someone who has been qualified for just a month. Most of us have been doing it for many years and have good work and people skills. Don't derail this tread please. The guy ask a simple question about what to pay someone and nothing to do with training time.thanks:thumbdown:

Sounds a great job offer to me.

Surely you need to provide kit as an employer 5 shires , I don't know anyone who pays what your saying for an employed person .

Me either but he can't find anyone so was just offering a bit of advice as to try something different to attract the kind of person he's looking for. And he did say subbies around his area are gharging £190 and some cases £250 a day so he needs to mchainsaw that to get someone.

Me either but he can't find anyone so was just offering a bit of advice as to try something different to attract the kind of person he's looking for. And he did say subbies around his area are gharging £190 and some cases £250 a day so he needs to mchainsaw that to get someone.

That should have read, he needs to match that to attract someone.

I run a AAAC in Berkshire/Oxfordshire and I have been trying to employ 3 new Foreman over the last couple of months but have had a very few responses.

Only 1 good one who is coming for trial in new year.

Despite offering what I thought was a good package

PAYEE

£100-140per day (8hr day (7on site 1in yard)) (dependent on ability and qualifications)

20 days holiday plus Bank holidays

Paid driving hours to and from site

Mobile phone allowance and Climbing kit allowance

All PPE and company clothing provided

Bonus scheme for extra works completed

Before I re advertised I wanted to gauge the opinion of Arbtalk about what wages are expected

So for an average foreman on the books with min 3+years of experience running a crew and min 30/31/38/39/chipper hopefully with 32/41/MEWP/CSCS/1stAid/Streetworks/formal ARB qualification

What would you pay/expect to be paid?

And where in the country are you?

I think the pay is on the money (no pun intended) , but if it were looking for a job there are a couple of things in your advert that would give me cause for thought.

A foremans job is a supervisor, what you seem to be looking for is a climber who can set up a job and supervise while doing the climbing. Now there are plenty of sole trader arbs out there who do that as a daily grind but its a big ask for a PAYE bloke, so if that is what you are looking for you might have to dig a bit deeper financially.

A couple of other points that stand out and seem at odds, climbing kit allowance? As an employer you have to buy that anyhow, same with PPE. Potential employees begin to assess the employer while reading the advert and those points will stand out. Just my thoughts

That's the point,he can't find anyone with the package he's offering. And with all due respect I doubt he would want someone who has been qualified for just a month. Most of us have been doing it for many years and have good work and people skills. Don't derail this tread please. The guy ask a simple question about what to pay someone and nothing to do with training time.thanks:thumbdown:

I draw the parallel with engineers in order to try to instill a sense of perspective with regards to the pay package. My brother is a civil engineer, 5 years experienced now, obviously did a Ba degree to get started, is now incorporated, has started his masters and is on the road to becoming chartered, at which point he might start to get close to earning £45k. What I'm saying is that whilst yes, good climbers are worth good money, they aren't worth £45k on PAYE. If it's your own business and you assume the risk, the debt, the responsibility for finding work then you have the justification to earn as much as you can. If you are just an employee, then no, definitely not.

I said Subbie climbers are charging between £150-190 and in some cases £250.

And your probably right I do need to compete with this.

A foremans job is a supervisor, what you seem to be looking for is a climber who can set up a job and supervise while doing the climbing. Now there are plenty of sole trader arbs out there who do that as a daily grind but its a big ask for a PAYE bloke, so if that is what you are looking for you might have to dig a bit deeper financially.

A couple of other points that stand out and seem at odds, climbing kit allowance? As an employer you have to buy that anyhow, same with PPE. Potential employees begin to assess the employer while reading the advert and those points will stand out. Just my thoughts

I think these are good points. A few thoughts, not based on arb, but I have made 6 recruitments this year and over 30 in the past 6yrs. Apologies if some of it is obvious.

In determining the salary, have you worked out what you expect them to earn you? If you work out expected number of days out earning x daily charge-out rate then this equals the maximum you -could- give as a renumeration package (salary + NI + pension contribution if you are in the threshold number of heads + any allowances). If you then work out the margin you want, it tells you the maximum you -want- to pay, which will inform the level at which you pitch the advert.

As a role with supervisory responsibility, ie pitching it as a step up, I would quote the annual salary first (maybe with a day rate in brackets afterwards, although you would hope anyone applying could work this out!). Similarly, I would quote it as a 40hr week, rather than daily, as it gives an impression of seniority.

You are quoting quite a wide range on the salary. Is this basically to try to attract someone, or because you can see different ways the job can be done, based on experience? Perhaps add a bullet-point list of expected responsibilities to make it clear what you are wanting them to do and the experience you are looking for, and make it clear what is essential and what is desired.

As this is career progression, you are looking for someone with ambition, so I would comment on the potential for further career progression. I wouldn't be specific in the advert, but would be ready to discuss this at interview. In my field, I find it is usually best to let the candidate describe their interests in this direction and be open minded about whether it could be useful. For example, if you have someone who expresses an interest in progressing into surveying, and this is something you don't currently offer, it could be mutually beneficial. This would make one candidate favourable over another who said they want to go straight off and set up in competition to you in 2yrs!

Alec

Edited by agg221