How much should a Foreman earn?

beechwood

I think its hilarious that those outside the industry are the ones saying that some suggested pay is too high:lol:. Neither of them could even apply :sneaky2:

Reminds me of the firemen up in arms because tube drivers were getting £35K and they were on £25K, problem was every job advertised for firefighters were getting at least 80 applicants, where as the tube driver jobs only got filled after the money was pushed up.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its hilarious that those outside the industry are the ones saying that some suggested pay is too high:lol:. Neither of them could even apply :sneaky2:

Reminds me of the firemen up in arms because tube drivers were getting £35K and they were on £25K, problem was every job advertised for firefighters were getting at least 80 applicants, where as the tube driver jobs only got filled after the money was pushed up.

Quite right, don't forget though, current fire service conditions of service allow for a lot of study/leisure/sport activity within the work schedule AND enough time off for a second job!

Just in case that offends anyone, just to qualify my point, how do you think military personnel felt back filling for striking fire service using WW2 equipment, sleeping on the floor in TA centres and watching "on watch" fire crews using service sports facilities during work time, oh by the way, that would be the same military staff that have already endured pension changes, pay freeze, redundancy AND early retirement - which is kind of what the fire service strikes are about. (Now THAT IS a derail! So I'll shut up now ):0). )

Some years ago when I looked around for jobs many things came in to the decision making , not just pay ! Location Rural - urban ? ( nice area for hobbies etc ) Type of work ( line clearance ? street trees or parks and gardens ?) general culture of company and staff ( are they all Sun reading , chain smoking football bores who go to Mc Ds for lunch every day ) etc Would I fit in ?

Edited by devon TWiG

On the face of it nothing wrong with your offer, therefore can only be one of two things supply and demand as already stated, the other your potential employee is not seeing the advert, are you targeting the right publications or platforms to get to the right person?

You make a good point

The supply and demand I can't do much about but where do tree surgeons look for jobs?

Arbtalk

Arbjobs

EArborist

Am I missing somewhere good?

Think you seem to know exactly the kind of person you want and the wage calling and package you want to stick to. The advice given was just a personal view and in now way was ment to undermindi the way you run your business. we all have a different line on what to pay and the kind of people we like as employees as am sure you do. Hope you get sorted and I think just posting this thread you will get a lot of takers.:thumbup:

No offence was taken and I wasn't trying to cause any.

I was looking for comments from within the industry to get things clearer in my mind and you others have offer some great advice.

I do find it very interesting how within the Arb industry very few people want to talk directly about money, wether it's what we pay our staff or what we charge them out at.

I thinking the lack of discussion drives prices down and wages up but maybe I'm just being cynical.

Regards Neil

I would say that the salary you are offering is reasonable.

|It is more than I would expect a foreman or charge hand to achieve in this neck of the woods (south wales), however your location would have to be taken into account.

As you mention the achievable day rate is often the limiting factor. Up your rate to pay the increased wage bills then find you loose the majority of jobs you have quoted for and no longer need a foreman.....

If the local subbies are charging anything up-to £200 there must be a glut of work?

In my opinion don't bother detailing things such as allowances this just muddies the water and begs questions, focus on what you expect an applicant to give you and what you expect to give in return.

We too are a AAAC - as of October last year we were looking for 4 new, extra, guys for work over the winter period. it took me till January to fill the posts and ended up taking on some temporaries to get us through the workload - I put it down to the time of year - and possibly the worry many people have regarding changing jobs.

It can be a big leap for many - leaving any permanent job, even for a new one can be scary, I know of many people (not necessarily in arb) who simply cant get a permanent job and flit from temporary to temporary position.

another factor may have been that there seemed to be a wage hike for utility cutters which tempted many arbs over.

Good luck with your search, however tempting to get some one in don't rush to get the right guys - the finance side of things cant be changed.

No offence was taken and I wasn't trying to cause any.

I was looking for comments from within the industry to get things clearer in my mind and you others have offer some great advice.

I do find it very interesting how within the Arb industry very few people want to talk directly about money, wether it's what we pay our staff or what we charge them out at.

I thinking the lack of discussion drives prices down and wages up but maybe I'm just being cynical.

Regards Neil

No worries Neil and not a problem, let us all know if and when you manage to find the right person that fits what you require.

One issue when looking for staff is that many experienced guys with the abilities your looking for just set up on their own.

The mass of small companies competing for work then depress the market.. but that is another issue. I was supprised at the low number of applicants when we were looking earlier in the year. Also supprised when i saw what you were offering. Made me consider going employed.. :001_smile:

Another firm to us are regularilly trying to poach my lads. Considering all the talk of colleges turning out loads of climbers i have ended up training up 2 guys over the last two years and of the frequent calls i get most have no experience.

Edited by benedmonds

Probably get more interest of you state the yearly salary ie: £30k plus benefits.. Don't state them, then you've wiggle room..

Day rates are for subcontractors not on the books staff.

I pay my subby climber £200 (he supplies his own kit and fuel) but if I where to take him on full time that figure would drop as I'd have to find him work and pay for all his other expenses...

I don't think your far away with your money just write it as a salary if you wish to employ someone.

Even with only three years experience of running a crew that's still £33,600!

The average British wage is about £16-18k there abouts!!!

Good luck staff are a nightmare until you find a good one :)

One issue when looking for staff is that many experienced guys with the abilities your looking for just set up on their own.

The mass of small companies competing for work then depress the market.. but that is another issue. I was supprised at the low number of applicants when we were looking earlier in the year. Also supprised when i saw what you were offering. Made me consider going employed.. :001_smile:

Another firm to us are regularilly trying to poach my lads. Considering all the talk of colleges turning out loads of climbers i have ended up training up 2 guys over the last two years and of the frequent calls i get most have no experience.

Precisely, most decent climbers with half a brain and a sprinkling of people skills will start up his own thing within a few years.

Colleges don't turn out ready to go climbers, they turn out ready to train climbers. Which is fair enough. You need at least a year of commercial work before you're up to speed.