How much should a Foreman earn?

beechwood

I see where you are coming from Dave. If I added my profit to the wages it would be over half of turnover.

That said, for a two man team the wages should be lower in relation to the turnover. It's once you get a few employees that the ratio should go up a bit.

I'll have to look in to the vat reg thing, I've only done about £280k this year so that should be ok?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see where you are coming from Dave. If I added my profit to the wages it would be over half of turnover.

That said, for a two man team the wages should be lower in relation to the turnover. It's once you get a few employees that the ratio should go up a bit.

I'll have to look in to the vat reg thing, I've only done about £280k this year so that should be ok?

You should be fine Tom, I believe you are ok until you buy a Range Rover.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I think that a company's day rate/ staff wage cost are all relative to the area we all work in. For example, we work in a terribly affluent area and because if that the cost of living is considerably higher, particularly accommodation. A sensible labourer would expected to be paid circa £100 a day and I would pay that all day long. The trouble is, when you come to wanting Mangement/ foreman caliber staff, they all say they can do the job, want top money, but the truth is they often think they are better than they actually are. I think beechwood is bang on the money with his salary/package offer. Once the successful candidate finds accommodation (if not local to the berkshire area) he will be on the same money in his pocket as everyone else who has agreed what a good package beechwood has offered. The danger is if you don't lay out what you are or are not prepared to do in the advert , you as an employer, spend a fortune investing in the right candidate and they then bugger off after a year! Hence why I also agree with offering an allowance towards kit rather than buying it for them.

• 2 weeks later...

To update this thread

I re wrote my job advert to reflect what I'm after and give more info to prospective employees.

I posted on Arbtalk a week ago, when I looked this morning it had 1500 views, I have gained a few new followers on Instagram and 1 direct response. Hopefully more people are mulling it over and will be in touch.

The advert has been posted on Arbjobs and EArborist today and I await to see what responses they generate.

To update this thread

I re wrote my job advert to reflect what I'm after and give more info to prospective employees.

I posted on Arbtalk a week ago, when I looked this morning it had 1500 views, I have gained a few new followers on Instagram and 1 direct response. Hopefully more people are mulling it over and will be in touch.

The advert has been posted on Arbjobs and EArborist today and I await to see what responses they generate.

Yep have seen it and it looks a very good offer, you can't do anymore then what you are doing so just a case of sit back and wait I guess.can I ask what is the time scale that you need to fill the posts? Is it A.S.A.P?

Hello all many different opinions which is all well and good. I’m from rural Suffolk obviously, but I’m now based in Oxfordshire although i have worked all over the east, south east and as far west as Wiltshire as a subbie.

I’m currently working within the High Wycome area just down the road from Burnham Beeches where you’re based.

I think people need to understand in Suffolk you could rent a period listed cottage for the same price as a room in Oxford, South central is EXPENCIVE!

I’ve been climbing now six and a half years and would consider myself to be a competent climber that will tackle most not blowing my own little trumpet but you have to be ok to get the work in.

Beechwood your offer is fair and you seem to care about keeping your staff happy with their kit and all the rest of it which is more than some do!

It the point you said yourself I charge anything from £120 to £150 I’m not greedy and it keeps me busy, but I can take time off when I want within reason normally working hard to cover the rent haha.

I build up my own kit new contacts and have a sense of pride from doing that. I normally end up organising the team as any lead climber would but I don’t oversee maintenance of chippers nor am I really responsible for staff and all their issues and let’s face it we all have them.

Yes I have the pressure to get the job done on time but that also comes from me out of a sense of pride and the drive to keep the contract haha.

If subbies are busy and earning that much building up their own little show why would they chuck it to go on the books……… I mean TAX!!

As for the comment about being ready for that position in a month it’s not real worth me commenting on that, but he does have a point! It is serious money but you have to really go for it to bring that home in a year and a subbie rarely works a solid year of 5 days a week and if you have you will be trashed.

There does seem to be a large gap in skill level from the new college kids to top climbers, no offence some new college lads are great and will do very well for themselves but there are more useless ones. Most experienced climbers want independence and it is possible in Arb that’s why this industry is so great!

A lot of experienced climbers would love a chance to do the AA Tech and other higher learning but they are too ****** at the end of the day to study THAT’S YOUR ROUTE BECCHES development!! We can’t keep climbing forever (sell it) and up the wage by a ten quid. Give a top climber a chance to develop further in the industry and they will come. (**** me sorry for the rant never comment normally)