charge customer for day with petrol log splitter?

mattyboy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting question! More and more often it seems customers want to keep the wood (I think that's a bonus - it's a hassle moving it) I don't take any account of the "how much off if you have the wood" question though, it's about cost neutral - take it, it's a hassle, leave it no problem. It's not like they are doing me a favour by me taking it.

But as often as not they want it cut and stacked. There's a time / cost attached to that. If they want it split and stacked there's more cost attached to me doing it than they could buy in split seasoned firewood for.

Personally, and from my experience, I don't think its a viable option but it depends on your rates. Even if it's their wood, and they are willing to leave it season, they could buy in many tons of seasoned firewood for the cost they'd have to pay to have me spend a day splitting their own wood!

Think about it - dumpy of seasoned hardwood - £90-140 depending on area....

Really? I thought that sort of price would be a firewood processor and operator for the day?

So my overheads and insurance etc are cheaper because I'm using a log splitter are they? My outgoings don't alter just because I take a smaller machine, well apart from the fuel. They can take it or leave it, I ain't a mug, after 13 years in this game you learn a lot and one thing is don't be too cheap!